Chapter Nine - Seeing Red

Chapter Nine

                                                          Seeing Red

Getting to Matthew’s was easier said than done. First I had to get used to driving, something I hadn’t done since my accident. Not only that, but I had to get used to driving a motorcycle. I’ve driven one before, back when I was sixteen and seeing a guy in a biker’s gang. It took me just a few minutes before I became comfortable. Even stranger, I was far more comfortable driving a motorcycle than driving a regular car. In fact, I decided I didn’t want to give it back. Mr. Foster can pay that expense.

Another obstacle I faced was being low on gas and having to stop and fill the tank. Freaked out several people with my bloodied clothes, which I tried to say was just paint. And then I was back on the road with wind blowing through my hair, thanks to there being no helmet. Vampires don’t need helmets, I guess. I did enjoy the icy breeze. It calmed me down only a little and removed the feeling of panic I still had in me.

When I arrived at the iron-gate, I nearly considered jumping it. Instead I continuous smashed my finger against the intercom button and growled a list of profanities as I waited.

“Foster residence,” a female voice announced through the speaker. “Mr. Foster is currently busy and not accepting visitors.”

“Is that so?” I replied in a snippy tone. “I wasn’t exactly accepting visitors about two hours ago, but I did. Let me in or I’m climbing the fence.”

“…I’m sorry he—“

“My name is Joanna Garth, and that alone should be enough proof that I will, in fact, climb this fence. Let me in right now—“

The gate opened with a hum, swaying away from me and revealing the long and winding road I’ve been on several times. I kicked started the bike and followed the path, my blood still boiling. When I finally made it to the giant front doors I didn’t bother knocking. It’s as if I owned the place, the way I entered. I didn’t even bother closing the door behind me. But I was stopped by a tiny blonde girl wearing a pink business suit.

“You must be Joanna,” she said, and I quickly realized she was the girl I spoke to at the gate.

“You are correct. Which room is he in? Library? Gym? Lounge?” I tried to walk past her, but she stepped in front of me.

“Mr. Foster is busy.”

“So you’ve said. I personally don’t care. Which room?”

The girl chewed on her bright pink lips as her pink heel clacked against the marble floor. “I think he’s currently in his bedroom. I suggest making an appointment.”

As I stared at her, this girly girl who was possibly me age or younger, a question hit me. “Where’s Jacky? She’s usually the one to stop me.”

The girl looked up at me with thick, black lashes and strikingly blue eyes. “Jacky? I don’t know. I haven’t heard of her. I’m Mallory, Mr. Foster’s assistant.”

Again, I stared at her. “His assistant? Jacky is his assistant. Are you sure you haven’t seen her? Tall, skinny, brunette? Shakes when she’s talked to?”

She shook her head slowly.

I was boggled, completely derailed from my previous mission. I was so used to having Jacky greet me and get me coffee that it seemed strange without her. “When did you start working here?”