Chapter Seven - Rule Breaker

Chapter Seven

                                                  Rule Breaker

Staying at David’s house is nearly as horrible a staying at the hospital. I hate being cooped up. It was almost like the walls were caving in on me. Some nights I just have the urge to run. David has been the only person I’ve been speaking to for a week now. Well, besides texting Matthew so we can insult each other. That’s been fun.

I can’t do anything in this house. What I really needed was to build my strength up and be ready for anything. Before the accident, I wasn’t strong enough to kill the guy who almost killed me. Now, after having been stuck in bed for three months, I have half the strength I used to. I need to run. I need to fight. I considered calling Bones and asking him to train me again, but that would get back to Matthew, who told me to stay in my house until he finds my attacker. Clearly he doesn’t know me well enough. I can’t just say at home and do nothing.

David never let’s me do anything while he’s here during the day. He sleeps most of the time, but he somehow knows when I’m walking towards the door. When he leaves at night, making me promise to rest before he left, I have to pretend I’m exhausted and about to go to bed. Our sleep schedules are off, so it’s not too unusual. As soon as he left at eight at night, I laced up my running shoes and pulled on a light jacket, though it was freezing out. I also pulled my long hair up into a high ponytail and placed my phone down my bra just in case.

Locking the door behind me, I then set off at a simple jog, hoping to ease myself back into the routine. Unfortunately, I only made it three blocks before I was coughing and gasping for air. My body wasn’t used to the exercise. It wasn’t used to even walking further than to the fridge. I placed my hands on my legs and tried to get my breathing back to normal. I probably should have brought a water bottle or something other than my cell phone and wallet.

“Ugh, I’m like a fat kid after a Thanksgiving dinner,” I groaned as I hobbled down the sidewalk towards the city.

There was supposed to be more snow soon, but thankfully it held out. I wiped the sweat from my forehead and quickened my pace as the city lights beckoned me closer. I was a little hungry and thankful I had brought my debit card with me. I can use my slaying money for a slice of pizza. That should probably disturb me more.

I walked inside a small hole-the-wall pizza place nearby that apparently was open till ten at night. The place was cozy, like a Starbucks, but brightly lit to the point that I had to shield my eyes when I walked in. My shoes squeaked against the white tiles as I made my way to the back of the place, causing the only customers there to turn and stare. They were a group of college students, I assume. Most of them were guys, one with thin glasses and short brown hair, another with black facial hair coming in, and then the other two I could hardly see because of their backs mostly turned to me. The girls, two of them, eyed me with worry, almost as if they were concerned I’d lure their boyfriend away from them. People have often told me I always look like I’m looking for trouble.

For some reason, I felt much older than them. Here I was, now twenty—I got to miss my birthday due to a coma—and I didn’t feel it. They were like children to me, though they were probably my age or older. They’ve barely seen the world. I’ve seen more than most. I doubt any of them have been shot or attacked by a vampire. I doubt they’ve seen the things I have in clubs, bedrooms, or in back alleys. I doubt they’ve woken up in a stranger’s apartment with several other people.

I envied them.

I envied their innocence and the way the world was bright and full of shining new opportunities. I envied their futures, which were undoubtedly full of adventure of possibilities. If I had grown up normal, with loving parents and a high school with people I didn’t hate, I’d be them. I’d be sitting right there holding the hand of some potential husband, discussing William Shakespeare or the up coming fundraiser event.