Chapter Four - Story Time

Chapter Four

                                                            Story Time

Two weeks it has been since I last saw Matthew. Two weeks. I was growing frustrated because I could only tell David I knew nothing about the accident for so long. Of course, it can be true for someone to lose memories about a tragic accident. But each time I lie to David about not remembering the rental car or why I was out driving, I know he’s growing more suspicious. I can’t blame him. I would like to know what the story is so I can recite it back to David. Which leads me to the man in charge, Matthew.

I want to speak to hum in order to get the whole story straight. I can’t just blurt out an entire lie to David without checking the details first. Unfortunately, Matthew hasn’t been around but one time.

“David,” I said as I lowered the remote to the TV.

He sat at the table with his old laptop propped in front of him. “Yes?”

“Do you mind getting me some food? I’m actually starving.” It was a lie. Although I’ve been eating—surprising my doctor because apparently eating actual food is a slow process—I wasn’t hungry right now.

Without thinking much about it, David got to his feet and headed towards the door. “What all would you like?”

Which would take more time to get? I needed time, not food. “Whatever is fresh, I guess. I don’t like their food all cold and chewy…” That was true. The last time I ate something they made it had the same texture as a sponge. “And some juice would be incredible.”

He nodded and left like the kind and caring boyfriend he is.

When the door closed I immediately turned to the generic telephone on the table next to me. By now I knew Matthew’s number by heart because of all of the times I’ve chanted it when in a sticky situation. I had, at most, ten minutes before David would come back. When I punched in the numbers I began twirling with the cord on the phone, surprised they still made these anymore.

“Mr. Foster’s residence, this is Mallory, how may I help you?”

I paused. If she hadn’t of said it was Mr. Foster’s residence, I would have thought I had the wrong number. “Where’s Jacky?” Jacky was the woman who always answered the phone and brought me coffee with trembling hands.

“Jacky? I don’t know. I’m new.”

That would be a question for a different time. “I need to speak to Matthew. It’s kind of urgent.”

“…Mr. Foster is busy.”

“Crap. Does he tell everyone to say that when I call? Pry him out of bed and from whatever blonde he’s with and get him on the phone.”

“He’s not—“

“I seriously don’t have time to argue. I really need to speak with him. I don’t hear you walking, Mallory.”

“But—“

“I’m seconds from leaping out of this hospital bed and going down there to see him myself if you don’t put him on the phone—“

“I bet I can guess what sassy and impatient woman is currently on the other end of this phone,” Matthew said, amusement in his tone.

I let out a sigh of relief. “Finally. I was beginning to wonder if I’d have to actually get out of bed.”