XV - Threw Me to the Wolves

"I don't even know what to begin to tell you to do, son

"I don't even know what to begin to tell you to do, son."

That was helpful.

"I want her, dad. I haven't even really had the chance to get to know her yet, but my heart aches for her. My wolf is the quietest he has ever been. What will I do if she doesn't want me? What if when she learns of my past, she runs to Rafael's open, untainted arms?"

"Oh, honey. You are not tainted. Your past doesn't make you a bad person. I didn't look at your father any differently because he didn't wait. I was hurt, sure, but that didn't make me want him any less. You just have to be honest with her. Honesty is key to every relationship, Sam. Remember that, and you will be fine."

"But what if honesty isn't enough? It's not like she has to forgive me when she has Raf there waiting for her as well. What will I do then?"

"Well, in some cases, the goddess will bless you with a second chance mate. I feel like, given the circumstance, she will give you or Rafael a second chance. There is just no way to tell right now, it hasn't even been a full day yet." My father was wise, I had to give him that. I had heard of second chance mates, but it was rare.

Most of the wolves who were given a second chance had been upstanding citizens of the werewolf community. I have not been any such thing. I may be a good Alpha, but that's about all I have going for me.

"I guess so. But in the meantime, I'm moving them both in the pack house. I don't think Rafael is the type to try to bad mouth me to win her over, but I don't want him having more time alone with her than me. I want us to have an equal shot in this, not one more than the other."

I was explaining myself as if they had even asked for an explanation for my actions. When in all honesty, it just made me feel better to talk about what was going on in my head.

There was a knock at the door, and I smelt her.

She had the most refreshing scent I had ever come across. Like honeysuckles mixed with fresh rain. It was cleansing. Most she-wolves I met smelled more like perfume than anything, not letting their natural scent shine through.

I could also smell Rafael. He had mind linked me while I was talking with my parents about just staying in his place, but I never answered him. I wanted to sit down with both of them and explain why I wanted them both to move into the pack house until she made her choice.

"Mom, dad, thank you for listening to me and trying to help. But I need to go talk to them now, and try to make some sort of plan for how this is going to work."

They nodded in unison and got up to head up the stairs to their side of the house. They were only staying here until their "retirement home" further in the mountains was finished being built.

"Come in, please. I would like to talk to both of you."

It was hard for me to look at her, so I just kept my head down as she walked in. My wolf was whining for his mate, and I hated that I couldn't indulge him and take her away with me. I hated that we were even in this position.