VIII - How

How?

That was the only thing that was coming to mind.

I regained consciousness mere moments after passing out, and Rafael was by my side apologizing for scaring me. Once I had calmed down, I asked him to do it again.

He was unsure at first, but I promised him I would stay calm and not freak out again. It must have been good enough for him because he shifted back into his wolf, and I was amazed.

I reached my hand out to let his wolf sniff me before I attempted to pet his head.

His wolf was surprisingly soft, like he had rolled around in conditioner for days. I had never felt a dog as soft as this.

I heard the wolf that had his head in my lap scoff, and realized that I must have said the dog part out loud. "Sorry, Raf. I didn't mean you were a dog."

His wolf let out what sounded like a chuckle and I nodded at him. "Can you shift back now? I would like to talk to you about all of this please."

I was scared. No, I was more than scared. I was completely and utterly terrified. Raf and Dennis had explained to me that when a human is bitten by a werewolf, they will transition and become a werewolf as well. Over the next three weeks, which seemed like a sick joke of the amount of time for me to train to not die during my first shift, Raf and the packs lead warrior would be training my mind and body to prepare.

I felt like I would never be ready. A week ago, I had never even heard of werewolves, and today, I'm being told I'm slowly but surely becoming one. How is a person even supposed to begin to cope with that?

Dennis was coming in to run a few more tests on me before he would tell me whether I could leave or not. According to Rafael, their Alpha, who is apparently the leader of the pack, the head honcho, would be coming to visit me today.

He had given Rafael permission for me to stay on pack lands while they train me, and if I wanted to, I could stay after my first shift. Since no one I knew was a werewolf and I didn't know of any packs in my home town, I had basically already promised that I was going to be staying, because I knew this place was going to feel more like home to me after this month was up than Thomasville had in 18 years.

I was excited though. A bit fearful, but mostly excited. I was going to do everything in my power to make sure I survived my first shift. I would put my best foot forward and make it through this, train harder than any human or wolf ever had, to make it through this. Of that I was sure.

Dennis came back a while later after running a few tests and confirmed that I was indeed beginning the transition from human to werewolf.

Apparently, the cells in my body were starting to morph and change into the makeup of werewolves cells and genes.

It scared me to hear it because it confirmed everything for me.

My life was never going to be the same after this.