Chapter 29

Third person pov

Arron was taken at such a young age, that she wasn't sure what memories of hers were real. So many she felt she'd made up in her time of despair, so maybe she'd just assumed Asuma was one too. A dream she'd made up. A hope she had when there was nothing else for her to latch onto. And yet here Asuma was, staring right at her. 

Asuma hadn't been expecting this in the least. His emotions, which were usually pretty lax, spiraled around in a mixed flurry of joy, shock and overall disbelief. He had been so sure of Arron's death. Her entire clan had died, and he'd been there to see the aftermath. The fires, and the wreckage. The houses had been completely demolished, some not even there anymore.

"Oh my God, Arron!" Asuma fell to his knees and opened his arms. Shikamaru's eyebrows raised. What did he think she was going to do? She was too scared of human contact. There was no way she was just going to run into his open arms. How did Asuma even know her, anyway?

Arron was his special person in a way, even if he would never admit it. Now that she was in his life, he wasn't sure he could revert back to the one without her. She was nervous, and shy, and she didn't really like people all too much. She was scared, and that was okay. She trusted him an amazing amount, and he valued that greatly.

Shikamaru froze as Arron's grip on his hand loosened. The girl stared at Asuma with wide, teary eyes, clearly not believing what she was seeing. "Chi?" She whispered, her voice sounding hoarse and weak. Shikamaru glanced back at Trexx, who shrugged. He didn't know anything about humans. Why was Shikamaru looking at him?

"Fi." Asuma breathed, his eyes wide and teary. Choji and Ino stared, Choji's mouth hanging open, and Ino's lips pressed together tightly with confusion and question. Of all the things she'd been expecting, it hadn't been this. She just thought they'd see Arron for a few seconds or so before she ran off. At least, that's what Shikamaru had immediately assumed. And he wasn't often wrong.

Arron's hand slipped out of Shikamaru's as she launched herself at Asuma. Shikamaru's eyes widened in surprise and disbelief as the girl wrapped her arms around Asuma, a sob bubbling out of her chest. Asuma, who had tears falling from his eyes as well, held her close to his body. "Mae'n iawn." He muttered, stroking her hair. "Mae'n iawn, Arron."

"What's going on in here?" Yoshino stepped out of the kitchen and immediately froze. "...Shikaku, dear." 

"What?" He popped out of the kitchen as well to see what the hell was going on, and he froze. Arron and Asuma were sitting on their living room floor hugging each other and crying. He wasn't actually sure he wanted to deal with all... this was the moment. It didn't seem like his business. It seemed more troublesome than not.

"You know Arron?" Choji finally managed to speak, glancing over at Shikamaru. The boy still seemed in shock. During all his time with Arron, never had she willingly touched another human being, let alone a grown man as intimidating as Asuma appeared. Trexx seemed at a loss too, fiddling what Shikamaru supposed were his thumbs as he patiently waited for whatever was happening to... you know, stop. 

"She's... She's my god daughter." Shikamaru felt his heart drop. Did that mean Arron was going to go live with Asuma? He hoped not. He didn't want her to. Arron was his... his friend. They were bonded, weren't they? What would he do without Arron and Trexx here?

"She is?!" Yoshino gasped in surprise, eyes widening. "Arron never said anything about having other family!"

"She was so young when she disappeared. Her father was a very close friend of mine. I met him  on a mission, and I-I was there when Arron was born." Asuma sniffed, leaning back and looking down at Arron. She was so skinny, and so pale. Nothing like the witty, sassy kid he'd known to run around and play. "Oh, God, Arron. I should have known you made it out. I... I should have known they'd gotten you out."

"Monster came." She told Asuma, staring right into his eyes. "Took them. All of them."

"Ah, dammit." Asuma wiped his tears. He wasn't usually one to cry, but this was Arron. This... it was different. He hadn't seen her in years. He thought she was dead. But a single visit to one of his students houses had reunited her with him. He hadn't been expecting it. He had been so sure she'd died with her mother and father.

"Where did Arron come from?" Shikaku asked, staring adamantly at Asuma.

"Her father was the head of the clan, her mother being the daughter of the previous leader." Asuma said. He looked to Shikaku, his face deadly serious. "She's probably the last living member of the Dusk clan."