Chapter 36

This was written on my phone so typosssss

Third person pov

"We can't go to the barbaque pit. It's way too crowded." Shikamaru complained about a lot of things, but he also didn't care about a lot of others. One thing he had never really fought against was where they ate. So long as it wasn't too much of a workout to get there, and he could sit down when they arrived, he truly didn't mind where they went. That's why it was so shocking to Asuma, Ino and Choji to hear him griping like he was. "Too many people. Plus, the ceiling is so low and constrictive. There aren't enough windows, either. It's too hot for Arron, anyway."

"R...Right." Asuma glanced at Arron, who Shikamaru apparently cared for Arron great deal more than he'd originally presumed. One of her hands was curled around Shikamaru's. The Nara seemed so used to her touch that he didn't think twice about it. Her other hand, however, was encased in Trexx's shadowy one. People seemed to part for them and avert their gazes as they walked down one of Konoha's more empty streets. Asuma was sort of glad they feared Trexx. Then maybe Arron wouldn't feel so crowded, and wouldn't have to worry about adamant stares.

"Well then where do you suggest we go, then?! You've shot down every restaurant Choji and I have come up with so far." Ino exclaimed irritably. Arron flinched slightly at her tone. The Yamanaka immediately noticed, and winced. That definitely wasn't what she'd been aiming for. The Yamanaka prided themselves on connecting with and understanding other people. Ino had never felt like such a failure.

"Fine, I'll pick." Shikamaru rolled his eyes. "How troublesome. You know, this wouldn't be such a drag if you guys just used your heads."

"Okay, okay, calm down. No need to get all fired up." He'd never seen Shikamaru get annoyed like that before. Not annoyed to the point of passive-aggressive hostility, anyway. His behavior in Arron's presence was astoundingly different than it was without her around. It was almost like he was a completely different version of himself. Maybe that's just because he finally found someone to care about deeply.

"Arron, is there a kind of food you like that you'd like to suggest?" Shikamaru's tone turned softer as he turned to gaze down at Arron, who shrugged. Shikamaru watched her tuck some of her gorgeous black hair behind her ear. Her ponytail was becoming messier, but she was still beautiful. Shikamaru only wished she could see it. See how much she was worth. Priceless was a good way to describe her, he personally thought.

"Alright... How about Benji's, then." Benji's didn't have the best food, but it didn't have the worst either. Almost nobody went there during the day, mostly going in the late hours of the night when the bar there was open. The thing was covered in giant windows on almost all four sides, giving them a nearly 360° view of everything around them. It was open. Almost too open, but its location and the lack of people there would make up for that.

"Oh, hey, that's not a bad idea!" Ino realized.

"Sounds good to me. I'm starving." Choji rested a hand on his growling stomach. Asuma chuckled, nodding. He never would have remembered a place as small as Benji's. They didn't go there often.

Shikamaru let Arron continue to hold his hand and stick to his side as they walked. She pushed herself against him, nearly freezing completely anytime she spotted anyone. But Trexx would let out a grumble, and the person would immediately flee the scene. This seemed to comfort Arron slightly, having Shikamaru and Trexx there and all. However, her guard was never down. Not even for a second.

"You know, Arron, you have really pretty hair! Have you ever curled it?" Ino asked. Arron froze completely at the harmless question, her grip on Shikamaru becoming painfully tight as she stopped walking, her eyes becoming clouded. Asuma pressed his lips together, and Ino stared. That had been such a dumb question to ask. S-She hadn't known it would bring back a bad memory or scare her in anyway. She cursed herself. She just wanted to be friends with Arron was all. She was failing spectacularly so far.

"Arron?" Shikamaru asked. She didn't respond, but her body began to shake slightly. Fear flooded her eyes, and Asuma took a small step back. He urged his students to do the same, trying to give Arron some space. Shikamaru snapped his fingers a few times but got no response. She was remembering something, and not something good, either.

"Arron." He put a hand on her cheek as softly as he could, as though the slightest pressure would cause her to crack. He carefully nudged her face upwards so she was looking right at him. He watched the inner turmoil bubble in her eyes. She didn't want to be scared. She didn't want to feel this way. She just couldn't help it. "Arron, you are safe. I have you. Trexx has you." Shikamaru promised.

"S...safe?" Arron breathed.

"Safe." Shikamaru confirmed in a soft yet firm tone. His team watched on in silent awe as she began to calm down immediately. The bond between them was tighter than they'd first assumed. "And Arron, you don't need to curl your hair. It looks perfect just the way it is."

Arron's eyes welled with tears. She reached up and wrapped her arms around him, standing in her toes to plant her face in his shoulder better. Shikamaru bent down slightly. "You never have to do anything to your hair again. Not if you don't want to. Nobody will force you." Shikamaru whispered to her soothingly. "It looks perfectly fine."

"C...Can't say the same about yours." Arron choked out hoarsely as she struggled to hold back tears. Shikamaru sputtered, his eyes widening in surprise. He felt a laugh threaten to bubble up his throat.

Parts of Arron were finally beginning to slip through.

~

Arron is secretly this sassy, saucy, iconic queen but her trauma has been suppressing it cONFIRMED LADIES AND GENTLEMEN-