Chapter 73

Third person pov

Ino dropped Arron off at home, and as she always did, Arron leapt into Shikamaru's arms. The Nara was exhausted from training, but caught her with a smile anyway. Ino grinned at him like she knew something as Arron smothered him in love and affection, burying her face in the crook of his neck and latching onto him snugly. He scowled in response to the look on her face, but the Yamanaka didn't miss the red that invaded her teammates cheeks.

Coldwell watched the girl leave. Personally, he felt a little bad following them home. But ever since he'd seen Arron's mark, his own had been burning. It scalded, reminding him of the day he'd gotten it. Of the day they'd both gotten it. What were the chances that they'd run into each other after all these years? That both of them had somehow survived the hell they were thrown into and come out the other side with their hearts still beating?

He approached the compound cautiously, stopping at the door. The lights were still on, but the sun had fully set, leaving him stranded out here in the dark. He took a few deep breaths. Should he wait to talk to her? He was afraid he never would if he didn't now, but then again, Arron still seemed rickety. More so than he was. He didn't want to ruin what she had going, but... maybe he could be selfish, just this once.

He knocked on the door cautiously, holding his breath. His heart thrummed the same way it used to back then, and a sense of irrational danger settled over him. He suddenly felt the urge to turn, tuck tail, and run. He resisted, clenching his fists so hard his knuckles turned white. He gulped.

The door slid open to reveal a tall man. Peering past him, he could see Arron and another boy peering curiously at the door, and a women was in a chair, also twisting around to see. He felt sweat roll down his face, and he opened his mouth to speak, but couldn't force any words out, so he closed his mouth again. The man raised an eyebrow down at him.

"I-I-" He swallowed, taking a deep breath. "I need t' speak to Arron."

"Arron?" The man's eyes immediately narrowed. The said girl on the couch leaned forward a little, squinting at him. His eyes flickered to the little shadowy lump in her lap. He hoped none of her friends would attack him.

"Coldwell?" He heard her say, and Shikaku turned to look at her, surprised. Shikamaru did as well. "We... met today."

"I really, really need t' talk to 'er." His voice became a little more urgent, and Shikaku hesitantly stepped to the side, letting the boy in. Shikamaru frowned at him, his own eyes narrowing suspiciously at the male. His hands fidgeted, and he looked oddly pale. Arron seemed a little lost, if not uncomfortable, shifting a little.

"What do you need, boy?" Shikaku asked, folding his arms over his chest in a protective sort of way. Coldwell shakily reached for the edge of his shirt, pulling it up just enough for her to see.

She froze, her breath catching in her throat as her eyes fell upon it. It was a familiar marking; a circle with a crooked X stuck inside. One line was thicker than the other, giving it a unique look. Not that people were often branded with irons, that is. He dropped his shirt, his fingers curling back into tight fists as the girl stared at him with wide eyes.

"I'm sorry." He said, his voice distant. "I-I accidentally saw, and-"

"Who are you?" Shikamaru snapped as Arron began to shake. The girl clenched her teeth, squeezing her eyes shut and taking a deep breath. Shikaku and Yoshino had gone silent, glaring at the boy heavily. Who was he, and why was he here? What was that mark, and why did Arron look so terrified? They hadn't seen that expression on her face in weeks now!

"'m sorry." He repeated, tears welling in his eyes. He hesitated then, his voice coming out a dry, quiet croak, "Four-hundred 'n fifty-seven."

"Who the hell are you, and how do you know Arron?" Shikamaru snapped, standing up. Arron stood up too on reflex, and Mothball rolled out of her lap, chittering happily as he harmlessly bounced off the wooden floor. "What are you even doing here?"