Chapter 15

Third person pov

Arron squinted against the harsh light as she stepped outside Shikamaru's house. Looking around, she could see other homes a good distance away, giving them some privacy. She didn't see anyone in sight either, which was good. For once she found herself liking the sun, even if she'd been kept outside at their last camp. She'd always been pale, and she'd always burned easily, but now she really didn't doubt that she needed the sun. Her skin was just a little too white.

"This way. I have a trail I like to walk on." Shikamaru said simply, his hands in his pockets. Arron didn't respond, as per usual, keeping her eyes on the ground. But she followed him anyway. She liked the way the grass felt on her feet, and how the wind whistled through her brushed out hair, blowing it about. It was a feeling she'd missed, and for a second, she felt normal.

"If we're lucky, we might see some deer. You've already been here so it's alright if you go in again." Shikamaru assured. He knew his parents would feel them enter and know what they were doing. Shikamaru often took walks back there, taking naps in clearing and lazing about on the low hanging branches of trees. Besides, Arron needed to get out some, even if she'd only been there overnight.

Arron stared at Shikamaru's back most of the way, sparsely glancing around. She wanted to enjoy the nature and the feelings of serenity it sent in her direction, but she was too tense. Too afraid. It reminded her of when she'd been running.

"This isn't our only forest. This is our main one where we cultivate deer and such. Their antlers have healing properties I guess." Shikamaru shrugged, looking back at her. She blinker back at him, and he shrugged, continuing to walk. The silence compared to how much Choji talked was refreshing, but also a little unnerving. He had never really had to lead a conversation before because everyone was so much more lively than he was. They did the work. Now, Shikamaru felt like he was the horse pulling the wagon.

"Oh, look." His voice lowered, and he pointed to the right. Arron's faze snapped over, her eyes widening in surprise, fear and awe as a deer stepped out. She was beautiful, with a shiny coat and big, dark brown eyes that reminded her of Shikamaru's. It stepped forward, it's ears and nose twitching as it smelled and listened for danger.

"I think this is Oika... Maybe. She may not have a name." Shikamaru scratched he back of his neck, turning to look back at Arron. Only she wasn't there anymore. Instead, she was right next to him. He almost jumped away in surprise as she stared at the deer, her eyebrows furrowed. As though she wasn't quite sure what it was. He watched curiously as she inspected the deer, her eyes calculating. She was far smarter than they were giving her credit for.

The deer, oddly enough, padded forward fearlessly. Shikamaru recognized this deer. While it didn't have a name that Shikamaru could remember, really, he'd seen it about. His father would know more about it. However, last time he'd checked, this particular deer had been a pretty skittish animal. It didn't trust easily. In a way, it sort of reminded him of Arron he guessed. "Ceirw." The girl muttered, surprising him further. What language was that?

The deer's head made contact with Arron's trembling hand, and Shikamaru though her lips make have twitched up. She looked at him. "Ceirw?" She repeated questionably, her voice a murmur. She looked mildly confused, as if she couldn't quite figure out the word to say. "...Carw?" She tried again.

"...Deer?" Shikamaru tried. A look of recognization flashed on the girl's face and she nodded, turning back to the creature nuzzling it's head into her hand. She nodded again. That's right. Deer was the correct word.

"You speak my language, right?" Shikamaru checked. What if she was so scared if everyone because they were saying gibberish at her? That would make so much sense.

Arron nodded in confirmation, her hands moving and rubbing the silky ears of the newly dubbed deer. Shikamaru fell silent, standing next to her awkwardly as she spoiled the creature, letting her hands run over it's smooth head and down its neck. He watched. She didn't seem happy, per-say, but she did seem at peace.

So Shikamaru stood and watched the clouds patiently, not saying a word as the girl petted the deer, who took to her kindness readily. He was glad the deer seemed to like her. It was a good sign, and it probably meant she wasn't a bad person. Especially if they'd approached her so readily. That made Shikamaru happy. He always liked it when the deer accepted someone.

~

"Did you have fun?" Shikamaru knew it was a dumb question to ask, but he didn't know how else to word it. Arron glanced up at him. She seemed more willing to look at him now, and maybe she'd even start talking soon if he was lucky. Then they'd be a step closer to finding out where she'd come from in the first place, and how they could put a stop to those people.

Arron didn't respond at first, but eventually gave a small nod he almost missed. He nodded back in an understanding sort of way, sliding open the door to his house. Arron let out a shriek of surprise, almost falling backwards. She dove behind Shikamaru again, her hands grasping at the back of his shirt.

Shikaku gave an awkward smile, walking past them as quickly as he could. Shikamaru pressed his lips into a thin line, sighing.

"What a drag."