Chapter 35 - What am I?

Hayden shifted in his chair as they sat around the war table discussing the attack. No one had been taken, though it was unclear if any of the raiders had escaped. Discussion now centered around identifying the attacking territory and retaliation.

"It was a mixture of species! Where did they come from?" a captain asked.

"Mercenaries? Why would they want younglings? Females, I can understand, but are they training them young now?" another asked.

The conversation went around in circles again and Hayden pinched the bridge of his nose controlling a sigh. He caught movement at the door of the tent and saw a fledgling subtly trying to get his attention. It was the messenger he had requested come find him when Avery woke. Hayden glanced over to see if Roedin had noticed, but the Whisperer was scowling down at the map on the table, clearly not paying any more attention to the aimless debate than he was.

Hayden rose discreetly and slipped out the back. The warriors were so bent on revenge they didn't even notice their Alpha Prime leave the discussion. Hayden mulled it over as he followed the fledgling through the town of resurrected tents and smoldering piles of rubble.

People were milling about the space surrounding the tent where Avery slept. Females spoke in hushed voices and males tried to look inconspicuous. Some younglings chased each other in a game until a father reached down and grabbed one by the tail, shushing it sternly. Several female novices scanned the crowd carefully. They were guarding the tent, Hayden realised.

He acknowledged them with a small nod and stepped through the tent flap. A female Sorex faunid was helping Avery drink some tea. She was only as tall as the cot itself but her strong digging hands were able to hold Avery's head still while she drank. The Sorex gently laid Avery back and scurried around the alpha prime's legs as she left the tent.

Avery's pale face shook as she struggled to control the shivering. Hayden lowered himself onto a stool next to the cot and gave her a reassuring smile.

"S-s-s-so cold," she whispered.

Hayden nodded. "The magic took a lot out of you. But you can rest now, they're all gone."

He dared take her hand to squeeze her fingers in reassurance. She didn't pull away but had no strength to grip his hand. He pulled the blankets up under her chin.

"Can't stop...the Papilio, she has magic...she did the spell and taught me the words." Avery gulped, her eyes wide and searching. "She left us. She left us to draw them away. I held the spell, but she's coming back."

Hayden brought the cup of tea to her lips again. Avery gulped it down, hardly breathing between swallows. Her head fell back and she closed her eyes, panting lightly.

"She knows something. She was angry with me. Angry for putting myself in danger. You can make her tell me," Avery insisted.

Hayden brushed some hair off her face. "Just sleep now and recover from the magic. We can talk about it tomorrow."

He didn't want to tell her that the Papilio was dead, her knowledge lost. Avery rocked her head back and forth as though the weight of the blankets was holding her down.

"Can't sleep...it's too much...too many words..." She looked at him in desperation. "Please..."

Hayden nodded and placed a hand on her forehead reaching out with his magic and pulling her down into a deep rest. Her face relaxed and she stopped shivering. The alpha prime rose and found the Sorex camp-mother outside.

"More heatrocks and warming blankets, if you can. Keep this place as quiet as possible and let her sleep deeply."

Hayden looked up and saw he was being watched. Conversations had stopped as people leaned in to hear an update on the human inside. A mother with a fawn on her hip approached tentatively.