Chapter 47 - Two

The flood of relief flowing out of the pack overwhelmed Hayden's senses. They had jumped to conclusions when Joshua said 'she didn't stand a chance'. It wasn't her. Avery's body wasn't here, and he didn't have to watch his brother shatter.

Yet.

Hayden closed his eyes for an instant, calming his heart and pushing down the dread brewing in his stomach. He needed to keep his head.

When he opened his eyes Hayden saw his family standing at the bars of the cell, staring down at the body of their enemy. A sick, twisted sapien who had put their friend through so much pain. Adelyn reached through the bars to pick up the fox figurine. She looked up at Khalil in confusion.

"What is going on?"

She searched the room for answers but her eyes eventually came back to the fox in her hands.

Hayden had been worried about Roedin's anger, then his grief. Now he was worried about Roedin's sanity. His brother was clearly unable to process, emotions flowing through him while he searched for the appropriate reaction. Hayden couldn't tell if he was happy that Ferrik was dead, or angry that someone else had done it, or confused about the reappearance of the fox, or concerned for his mate. It was probably all of these things and more. Roedin's body trembled as he fought for control.

"Where is she, Adelyn? Hayden? She's not outside the law," Khalil said with a dark tone.

"You think a mortal girl did this? Took out your guards and killed a sapien locked behind bars?" Arctos asked.

"You're right, that does seem far-fetched. But it wouldn't be hard for two faunids," Khalil retorted.

Arctos snarled but then an evil grin came to his face. "Believe me I would have jumped at the opportunity. But if it had been us you would be scraping him up with a shovel."

Hayden ignored the alpha prime of Terraly and stepped close to his brother.

"Roedin."

No response.

"Roedin, I know this is hard, but you need to tell us. What do you feel? What do you feel through the bond?"

Roedin's breathing was ragged as he dug deep into his soul trying to sort out his emotions from those of his mate.

"Fear. Always fear. She covers it up, or laughs it off, but it's always there."

"Is she in the castle?" Khalil demanded.

Roedin shook his head. "She's far, I can't even tell if it's her I can feel, or the absence of her."

Adelyn reached for his hand. She carefully placed the wooden fox in his palm and closed his fingers around it.

Hayden turned to the others. "Take him back upstairs. We'll sort out a plan away from this mess."

Khalil stayed to speak to the guards about dealing with the body while the Corinthians moved off down the hallway, Arctos and Niamh keeping a careful eye on Roedin.

Behind them Hayden whispered to Sari, "They're asleep. Can you see?"

Sari glanced around then crouched and placed her hand on the face of the unconscious cell guard. She slipped into his dreams, searching for the events of the night before. She pursed her lips and stood, motioning for her mate to follow her down corridor.

When they caught up to Adelyn she was whispering with a young groom. The groom spotted Hayden and Sari and fled the hall immediately. Adelyn simply joined the pair in their march back to the apartments without saying anything.