Chapter 28 - Bridges

Despite the stunning revelation at the Gallenese lakehouse life in Corinth fell into a comfortable routine. Roedin found more and more reasons to come around Ember Place and Hayden and Sari gave him space or restrictions as needed. Avery dove into her projects working closely with the metalsmiths, carpenters, even farmers and herbologists to come up with innovative solutions to problems, or useful contraptions.

In the mornings Adelyn would often join them for a late breakfast to discuss the upcoming meetings and affairs of the day, and Arctos seemed to time his urgent reports around meals. One morning he arrived at the house conveniently just in time for breakfast with Roedin and the alpha primes.

"Have you heard about the troubles in Hadisota? Three colonies were burned to the ground. Decimated," Arctos reported between bites. His Ursid appetite had him eating almost constantly throughout the day.

"Yes, Roedin told me." Hayden sipped his coffee pensively. "I've sent a prime to investigate, but I'm not expecting her to find much."

"We're unsure if the faunids were present when the villages were burned, or if they were on their annual migration," Roedin added.

Arctos took another bite and considered this. "I ran into a friend in town the other day. He deserted from the Sawtooth Mountain training camp. Something about the Prime Jaret pushing them too hard."

This also wasn't news to Hayden; he knew Jaret was an arrogant prick. But the prime trained strong warriors, and the Corinthian territorial forces were better for it. Hayden tolerated quite a bit of attitude from the primes who were stationed in the field camps. They were a key part of the city's defensive strategy and he couldn't afford to alienate them.

"This deserter also said Jaret hasn't been training the females. When they come into camp to sign up he assigns them menial tasks and treats them like servants," Arctos added.

Adelyn scowled. "His mistake. Those Pantheri females are some of the most vicious fighters I've ever seen. You know they do most of the hunting for their packs? The males just sit around and tend the house."

Arctos nodded in agreement. "I can pay them a visit. See for myself what's going on."

"I'll meet with the primes and discuss it," Hayden concluded.

Avery wandered into the dining room, yawning and rubbing her eyes. Her clothes were wrinkled and her hair exploded in all directions. "Discuss what?" she mumbled.

Hayden chuckled at the sight. "Discuss renting out your room to Tobias for his visits to Corinth, since you don't seem to be interested in using it."

Avery collapsed into a chair blinking the sleep from her eyes. "Well if you think you need the money..." She shrugged and reached for the coffee pot.

Sari let out a bark of laughter. "Did you sleep in your workshop again? You have ink stains on the side of your face."

"Sleep would be a generous classification," Avery clarified with a mouth full of toast. "But I think I finally figured out how to make a more durable transmission wire that would reduce heat loss when moving electricity over long distances. Requires a special alloy." She dove into some eggs, not even looking up at the others.

Sari grinned at Avery's tenacity. Each problem they had presented she embraced with genuine enthusiasm. She was fully committed to her role as the alchemist of Corinth and sapiens regularly knocked on their door looking for her services. She thrived on the challenge and would have to be reminded to eat or sleep while she was engrossed in a puzzle. The pack was somewhere between exasperated and amazed with her work ethic.

Roedin's protective instincts, however, left him more often concerned. He tried to let it slide but couldn't stop worrying that she wasn't eating enough or sleeping well. Every part of him cried out to protect her and keep her healthy. He shifted in his seat uncomfortably and looked down the table again. Avery had her head propped up on her hand with her eyes closed and her fork loaded.