Chapter 24

Everyone thinks about death, how it'll happen? When, and why. We always have that little voice in our heads telling us that we could die any second.

I tend to not think about that part.

I decided to not mention anything about meeting Tim and Curly to Dally. I was sure he wouldn't wanna talk about it if he'd never mention anything about it.

But all the pieces were coming together, Dally saying that he didn't want to be like him old self. Being in crimes and causing death.

Which made sense.

•••

"Hey beautiful." Dally says smirking his known smirk and kissed me like he hadn't seen me in a long time, "Whatcha been up too?" I say smiling at him and take out a cigarette from my pocket and light it.

"Oh you know.." He says chuckling and leans against the Diner window. "I found this." I say remembering his necklace, I hand it to him and he takes it.

"Gee..thanks.." He says chuckling at the silver necklace and throws it over his head so it lays on his chest. "So..you ready for Summer?" I turn to look at him and he stares off into the distance.

"Aren't we all." I say blowing the cigarette smoke out from my mouth and let it off into the air. "Hey isn't it your birthday in 2 days?" He says turning back to me and grins. I look down at the floor and laugh under my breathe.

"Yeah..I guess it is.." He chuckles and I smile embarrassingly.

•••

* 2 Days Later *

I wake up feeling, excited. "Wake up kiddo! It's a special day!" Danny says walking into my room and kisses me on my forehead. "You seem more excited then I do!" I say chuckling. "Well..I'm just happy. That I got the day off and we can go do something. I feel like we haven't done anything together in a while." He says smiling down at me, "Now get up birthday girl! It's your day so let's go have fun." I smile widely and get out of bed.

•••

We end up going to The Diner and to some small carnival. We played games and rode rides, like in the good old days.

"So when is Dally coming over?" Danny asks as we get back home, "I don't know..he said he'd be over later in the day." I sit on the couch and look up at the clock, it was 5. And there still wasn't a call. It didn't seem like him, he was always on top of things.

•••

The time was 9, and there still wasn't a show. It kind of hurt my feelings that he wasn't here, "Well..." Danny says standing up and comes over to me sitting at the dinner table just watching the clock.

"We'll just have to start without him.." Danny gives me my present, it was a small necklace with a picture of our mother in it, she looked so beautiful. I smile down at the locket and look up at Danny. "It's perfect." I say standing up and hug him tightly. "Yeah..I really liked that picture of her..she looks like you." We both sit admiring the precious gift and finally light my candles.

"Make a wish." Danny says as I stare down at the flaming balls of fire. I watch as they flicker in the darkness, I close my eyes and blow hoping that one day wishes did come true.

•••

"Someone help!" A woman crys out around her as she watches a boy on the road bleeding and unconscious. He had gotten into a car wreck and and flew out from the dash, it was strange because he was gripping onto a flower with a little tag on it saying

Happy Birthday.