Duns Ford III

Crow was hunched over the bar drinking some form of alcohol. He didn’t know, he’d just grabbed it and poured a little bit over a few cuts and was now drinking what was left.

            “Hey.” Azlyn said and drew up a seat beside him.

            “Hey.” He replied and took another mind dazzling drink. It was thick whatever it was.

            “Is there a way to get Dibala out of Chloe’s body?” She went straight to the point. Crow was quiet as he contemplated the question.

            “There is a way…” Crow murmured and then took another drink. “A difficult way.” He looked at Azlyn’s face. Despite all the hell it’d taken it was still beautiful.

            “And you’re not willing to face that difficulty?” She asked trying to hide the anger that she suddenly had. Crohan saw past things like that though, it was one of his many skills.

            “I guess I’m not, no. You’ve seen what Dibala can do, I can’t just let her go and do something like that again because I tried to save your sister.” Crow said in his same morbid tone. He was capable of talking about even the most sensitive of subjects without losing his absolutely careless tone. He was now moving a bored finger across the bar counter, collecting dust as he goes along. Azlyn had seen and heard enough, she stood and was nearly out the door before she turned again.

            “Why’d you even save me?” She asked. Crow’s finger froze. “Why not kill your Witch then, huh?” He didn’t know how to respond because he didn’t even know why he’d done it. Lacking a response, Azlyn left with the same attitude. Someone else was at the door now, from the sound of the steps, Jack.

            “Hello Jack.” Crow said without turning.

            “Hello, we’re going to bury Boris now.” Jack said and then stepped inside. The Hunter nodded and took another drink of the alcohol.

            “You do that.” He said and that was the end of the conversation no matter how much Jack wanted to continue it. Of course Crow felt guilt over Boris’ death but he had the guilt of a thousand innocent lives weighing on his shoulders.

            Jack left and the Apothecary entered.

            “Drinking Hailsung I see.” She said and sat beside Crow at the bar.

            “Is that what this is?” He said and looked at the foreign writing on the bottle. She chuckled and nodded.

            “Where did you come from?” She asked and poured herself some of the Hailsung. Crow turned his drunken face to hers and saw her beauty for what it was now. Long black hair extended to her breasts and sky blue eyes gazed back at him.

            “It’s a long story.” Crow said and continued to observe her. She chuckled again. “What’s so funny?”

            “It’s bound to be a long story, I was just wondering if you’d be willing to tell it. No one brings the Witch Queen of the West and a group of Wraiths into this town with the ability to hold them back without a long story.” She drinks some more. “So how about it?” It was Crow that laughed this time and then nodded.

            “It began four years ago,”

            Jimmy stood on the edge of the town looking out at the Western mountains. The funeral had been quick and Jimmy had decided to admire the mountains. He’d spent his childhood wondering if he’d ever excel past those mountains, if he’d ever be anything else. There’s nothing else left here, his parents are dead and his friends are ash, who will he go with, who has the will to go west? Crohan.

            Azlyn came to his side slowly. The sun was directly above them.

            “I’ve lived in Harold for too long.” Jim said and looked at Azlyn, her blonde hair veiling her face. “I’ve watched over these plains for too long.”

            “You’ll go with him. When he leaves for whatever hell he’s chasing you’ll follow him, despite all the hell he’s brought to us.” Azlyn said.

            “I will, if he allows it.” Jim loosened his satchel and dropped it to the ground and Azlyn watched as a tear fell down his right cheek.

            “Jim,” She said but her words ceased. She turned his head by the edge of his jaw, that morbid depression stricken across his face.

            “Am I interrupting?” Jack’s voice struck a crack between them and Jim looked up with red, tear worn eyes. “Crow wants us all in the Tavern.” He said and left as swiftly as he’d come. Jim grabbed his satchel and gave Azlyn a hesitant glance before following Jack. Azlyn wiped the tears from her mouth and felt some of her own coming on but forced them down.

            “I’m leaving to The Legion’s Capital city, Arkon is it?” And Crow looked at The Apothecary who’d named herself Fiona. She nodded. “Fiona tells me it’s a week’s trip; if you want you can but if you don’t want to, stay. They won’t come back here once I’m gone. I hardly give this opportunity to people but I’ve taken a lot from you all and you’ve all got relative skills.” He paused and then shrugged. “Well, who will come?”

            Jim nodded. “I will.” Joseph and Weaver gave him a confused look.

            “Be warned, you may not want to stay long, things may be even worse in Arkon then in Harold, they’ll definitely be more complicated.” Crohan added.

            “I will but you already knew that.” Fiona said.

            “I’ll go.” Ellis said. Joseph gripped his arm and then brought their faces close.

            “What’re you doing?” He snickered.

            “You might be okay with a few words of remembrance but I want to kill them and I want to kill them all.” Ellis snickered back. After a moment Joseph released his grip.

            “I’ll go too.” Joseph announced reluctantly. Crow nodded and looked at Azlyn standing by the door.

            “Weaver and I will go as well.” Jack said patting Weaver’s shoulder. All the eyes went to Azlyn now.

            “I’ll go for Chloe.” Azlyn said staring straight back into Crow’s eyes.

            “Alright, let’s go.” And Crow left.

            The blistering sun had finally begun to die down when Duns Ford was on the horizon. Fiona had packed a variety of ingredients and tools for treatment. Crow had brought nothing besides some extra food and what he’d originally had. The others had brought a great deal of tools and food in large bags that Fiona had supplied. She was the only one with any kind of attachment to the town and she’d said her goodbyes.

            It was nearly night as they set up camp and began their trek to Arkon.