Chapter 21

I Hate That I Love You

Chapter 21

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Blake's POV

I've never been so frightened in my whole entire life. You'd think that as a future agent, you'd be fearless and indestructible. It's true, though. Guns didn't scare me. Criminals didn't scare me.

Losing the love of my life terrified me.

I looked down at Carly West's pale face. The skin that was showing still held red spots, one of the symptoms she had from the allergic reaction. Her lips were blue and her eyelids were dark. The way she looked in the hospital bed tore at my heart.

I sat down on the seat next to her bed and took her cold hand in mine. I kissed the back of it. I silently begged myself to wake up, to escape this unbelievable dream I was in, but no matter how many times I pinched myself, I was stuck in this nightmare.

Riley Sherman died of drug overdose twenty-four hours ago. He was already in a fragile state then the extra drugs he took yesterday pushed him over tithe top, stopping his heart completely.

As heartless as it sounds, I didn't care much for his death. I wasn't happy but I felt relieved. My girl was safe and that was all that matters. Except for the fact that she's been unconscious for a whole day.

Her parents had stopped by yesterday. a few hours after she was brought in. They had talked to the authorities and they informed her parents about what happened. Kelly was in the verge of an anxiety attack so I had sent them over to my apartment for the time being.

I reached over and brushed away a blond hair from her forehead and tucked it behind her ear. Her wavy locks were still silk to the touch and her skin was as soft as cotton.

"Wake up, baby, please." I whispered, rubbing her cheek with my thumb. "I wanna see those beautiful blue eyes of yours." I let out a humorous laugh. "Hell, I can't even wait to argue with you."

Carly didn't budge. Except for the rising of her chest from breathing, she wasn't moving at all. The situation scared me to the point where I felt sick.

Suddenly, the door to her hospital room opened and Dr. Conett walked inside. She saw me and her eyes widened in surprise.

"Blake? What are you still doing here? Visiting hours are over." she said.

I stayed seated and didn't let go of Carly's hand. "I'm her body guard, ma'am, I have to stay with her at old times." I replied.

She walked over and smiled down at me. "I think you're just using that as an excuse." she put a hand on my shoulder. "You should at least take a nap, Blake. You haven't slept in over a day. That's not healthy."

"I will later on." I lied. I didn't plan in leaving Carly's side until she wakes up.

Dr. Conett examined Carly's monitors and looked over her IV's. She checked the clipboards strapped on the end of the bed before writing things on her own clipboard.

"Is she going to be okay?" I asked quietly, gazing at the gorgeous sleeping beauty before me.

I looked up at the doctor, who was giving me a small smile. "She'll be weak for a couple of days but she'll be back to her old self in no time."

"Why does she still have the red spots on her?"

"That's one of the side effects of her allergic reaction. Once her blood pressure and her heart rate goes back to normal, those will fade away and she won't look so pale anymore."