048

chapter ➝ forty eighttype ➝ real life❝ let's call it off ❞

type real life
❝ let's call it off ❞

──────────◈──────────

          THE MOMENT FRANCINE FLUTTERED HER EYES open this morning, she thought the day couldn't be any worse than two days ago. Oh, how hope was frequently the biggest letdown in life. Every word that leaked out of the doctor's mouth and the CT scan result which was an absolute proof, causing her day to take a turn for the worse. Everything was crumbled right in front of her and she had no strength to pull it all together again. Her Mother tried to cheer her up, but it was eminently unavailing.

          The footage of the match was still on the TV screen, replayed over and over until perhaps some people found it intrusive. Most of them gave the headline's title; the downfall of Francine Lane. And that made her grow furious inside. Francine convinced herself that it was not over, she was still able to wrestle, but deep down she knew it was highly impossible.

          Not a moment later, the screen suddenly flicked off, gaining Fracince's attention. She could not budge a lot because the neck brace restrained the movement of her neck, but her eyes saw who was in the room with her. And how frivolous wrath once again fell upon her.

          "Did Shailene call you to come?"

          Chris could perfectly feel the sour mood in her, judging by the face that clearly refused to acknowledge his presence. When Francine's eyes still repudiated to alight on him, Chris moved and stood at the end of the hospital bed to get her fraught attention.

          "Shouldn't you be happy I'm here?" Chris questioned, dropping gently the shopping bags that contained everything she needed on the table near him. "Because I will if I were you."

          "Why are you here?" Francine's voice tightened. "I didn't invite you."

          Chris frowned, folding his arms over the chest. "I came to see you, isn't that obvious?"

          Looking at him, Francine suddenly couldn't stem her emotions. All of him only reminded her of her doom two days ago, and with her current unstable health condition, Francine increasingly wanted to tear himself apart.

          "Why did you do it?" Francine asked.

          "Do what?"

          "Got into the ring, called off the brawl between me and Maryse, acted like you were someone in those Marvel Comics? Why, Chris?" Francine questioned, a desperate and disillusion tone vividly hiding underneath her steady voice. "Because I'm sure as hell didn't ask you to do it, nor did the creative."

          "You asked me why?" Chris repeated in disbelief. "Francine, I saw you in pain while holding your neck, and you wanted me to just stand still and watched Maryse break you in public? She didn't even know that she injured you."