A Walk Through the Forest

“Okay, Molly, question number one; what have you done in preparation of your…departure?”

      I looked into Ronnie’s brown eyes. Curiosity sparkled from the depths of those eyes, and I knew I had to answer; a promise is a promise.

      “Well, I started a blog, in which I’ve asked people what they think I should do with the remainder of my life, and I have gotten marvelous feedback. I have volunteered at a local zoo, where I’ve met so many new friends. I have learned to take a lot of pictures in ever situation, and I’ve learned a lot of hardships.”

      “Okay,” Ronnie said, leaning forward and placing her chin on her folded hands. “So is there anything else you plan on doing?”

      I locked my fingers around the big coffee mug, embracing the warmth and took a deep breath. “Well, with all the creative ideas people have shared with me, I’m planning on going on a mission trip sometime in March, maybe to Haiti, or someplace in Africa.”

      Ronnie looked intent and eager to hear more. “Really? What sort of mission trip? Clothing? Religious?”

      “I would like to give children and adults all around the world something that I take for granted; Food. And clothing, but mostly food.”

      Ronnie nodded. “Do you know how you would fund this trip?”

      I shrugged. “Just like everyone else I guess: fundraising…”

      She nodded and took a sip of her steaming cup of black coffee. “What else did you want to do?”

    I smiled, thinking of what I was going to say next. “Well…someone—their blog name was HIIMBETH—suggested that I go skydiving…and I kinda really like that idea.”

      Ronnie’s eyebrows rose high. “Skydiving?”

      I nodded vigorously. “Yep. I don’t know, I guess I just think of it as kind of flying, you know? I mean, of course I’d have to go with someone else, but I think that would be really fun!”

      Ronnie chuckled and took a sip of her coffee. “I didn’t think you were the kind of girl to take extremes…”

      I grinned, but said nothing.

      Ronnie continued to ask me questions about what I plan on doing in the remaining nine months. The interview ended up lasting three hours, and it was well past 5:30 when I got back home. I was greeted by a giant hug from Mom and a stern look from Dad.

      “Where were you?” Mom asked, holding my face in her hands so that it was scrunching like a pug dog’s face.

      “I’m sorry, Mom.” I said pulling away from her grip. “I was just grabbing a cup of coffee with a friend.” It wasn’t exactly a lie: I considered Ronnie my friend.

      My parents looked at me with odd expressions. “You had coffee…with a friend?”

      “Yes, Dad. Her name is Ronnie Schultz!”

      My father shrugged and then let Mom take over. “I never remember you telling us about this Ronnie girl.”

      “That’s because I just met her a few months ago. I haven’t been able to hang out with her very much. She’s kinda busy with her job…”

      Mom gave me a hard look. “So does she go to your school? How old is she? Why not invite her over sometime?”

      “No, Mom, she doesn’t go to my school. She’s Graduated. She’s 23, I think. And, Mom, I’m not seven anymore. You don’t just invite someone over like that.”