Revealed

Hello fellow Wattpadians! Here's a new and long-er chapter for you! Thank you for being patient with the slow uploads. I am trying to finish My Last Year and Running Blind by the end of this summer because I know I will be even more busy next school year up at College and all ;)

So enjoy this little bit :)

With my hands shaking violently, I opened the car door and stepped out into the cold January day. I looked up at the hospital looming in front of me. Jason was in there. I didn’t know how to feel about any of this.

“C’mon.” Peter said, closing the driver’s door and heading in.

I followed my brother toward the building, but did so reluctantly. I had a sick feeling in the pit of my stomach as we walked through the doors. The white and blue interior of the hospital was all too familiar, and I was beginning to dislike the colors very much. I wished they would paint murals through the halls and in the rooms; at least they wouldn’t be so boring then.

Two people sat in the waiting room as I passed. A woman slumped over into the shoulder of a man who was staring at the floor. They both appeared they had been up the entire night. Peter said my name and handed me a name tag, although I wasn’t sure why I needed one, most nursing staff knew me more than they knew their own families.

We stepped into an empty elevator, and as the doors clamped shut, Peter turned to me. “He...he doesn’t know about Jenny.”

An image of Jenny’s empty body flashed before me. I took hold of the elevator railing. “Alright.” But it isn’t alright. It’s terrible! When will he find out? What will he feel like? He’ll feel like a murderer. He’ll have the weight of guilt resting squarely on his shoulders, like the load of a weakened ox.

We arrived at the third floor and found Jason’s room almost immediately.

“No, no. It doesn’t feel right. Mom, are you hearing me? It isn’t... fitting.” I heard Jason’s rushed voice.

“Jason, please just try it.” I heard a woman’s voice as I stepped in the doorway.

“Mother... I... don’t want it.”

The dark haired woman stopped when she saw me, and I saw Jason’s bald, scarred head slowly turn towards me. I started. Mostly due to the fact that I had no clue what--or who I was looking at. The boy staring at me from the hospital bed was not Jason. He had baggy, tired, and dull green eyes. Not like the bright green ones I remembered. His gaunt face held shadows like an empty room, illuminating his thin cheekbones and darkening his eyes and mouth.

The woman sighed, her shoulders slumping slightly. “Peter, thank goodness!”

Peter nudged past me and greeted Jason and his mother. Jason continued to stare at me as his mother spoke to Peter, holding what appeared to be a false leg.

“He won’t even try it. Can you help out?”

Peter scratched the back of his neck, a sign he was uncomfortable. “Jason, what’s this man?”

Jason’s face hardened when he looked back at the leg. He then looked down at what remained of his leg and scowled up at me. He looked deflated, defeated, like the world was resting on his shoulders and he couldn’t bear the weight.

“Leave,” He said coldly. His voice sounded raspy and mean. It had a different sound to it, like he was a completely different person.

I stiffly took a step into the room and attempted a smile. “Hey Jason,”

He looked away, back at Peter.

“You wanted me to come visit you, Jason,” I said meekly. Why was he like this?