Saying Goodbye to a Best Friend

Hewwo! It's not exactly a happy chapter, but, it's a CHAPTER! So be happy! :D

I dedicate this chapter to those affected in any way with the Boston Marathon. :')

Vote/Comment/Fan

______________________________________________________________

I sat in a quite uncomfortable chair in an eerily white waiting room. And these places were supposed to put you at ease while thinking about the loved one lying in a bed in another room all mangled up?

Well. I suppose I wouldn’t call Jason a loved one.

Peter sat beside me, worried not for Jason, but more for his sister—me. He wanted to make sure I got home okay. And Mom and Dad didn’t trust an emotional teenager behind the wheel. Understandably.

I sat with my elbows propped up on my knees which continuously bounced up and down with anticipation. It was 4:24 A.M. and we’d been here at the hospital for well over two hours. I was beginning to get antsy.

A plump ginger woman walked through the door, looking as tired as a mare after labor. Sorry, weird analogy. She took a deep breath before speaking.

“Jason is unconscious right at the moment, and usually we wouldn’t allow guests until 8 A.M. but we have special instructions and lists for who may visit him…”

I blinked at the woman. What was she babbling on about? Peter looked at me. The woman stared at me as though waiting for an answer.

“Well?” She demanded. “Are you going to come see him, or not?”

My whole body jolted as though electrocuted. “Yes!” I professed. I jumped from the chair and eagerly followed the slow and stout woman, Peter trailing after me.

The woman led us down the hallway, took a hard right, and pulled us into the last door on the left. A woman with a tear streaked face sat at the head of the bed, holding onto a bandaged hand.

My chest tightened as I looked at the unrecognizable figure lying in the bed. My hands trembled, and Peter came behind me, taking my hand in his. I looked up at him and he gave me a reassuring smile. He was here to support me. To make sure I’m okay. I needed to remember that.

“We have put him into a medically induced coma to help his brain repair faster. He will awake when his brain is ready, which could take a few days to a few weeks.”

I nodded, my nose getting runny. “Can he hear us?”

The woman shrugged, glancing at his form. “You can never tell. It’s different with every patient. It doesn’t hurt to try though. Just don’t try to wake him up.”

I nodded and thanked her. The woman next to the bed looked at me; her tired grey eyes searched my face. Then her dark brown eyebrows furrowed.

“Who…?” Her dark curly hair fell around her face, and I could see the resemblance between her and Jason. Their noses were identical, the same curly brown hair, but their eyes were different.

“I’m a friend from school.” I offered. “Molly Erks. Is he going to be okay?”

The woman looked at her son lying in the bed and her lips formed a thin line. She shook her head. “I always told him that bike of his was stupid. I should have never allowed him to get it, but his father…” A tear left her eye, traveling down her cheek until she stopped it with her hand. “He was wearing a helmet, leather jacket and some gloves—thankfully—but his leg…”

I frowned. “What about his leg?”

She looked at me with sad eyes. “Is it alright if I leave you here with him for a while? I need to make a few phone calls.”