Chapter 4

“Why are you crying?” I couldn’t help, but think what a ridiculous little human this Carrel was.

“You saved me and now you’re dying.” The tears that ran down her cheeks glistened in the moonlight.

“No, I’m not dying. I’m just going to be sore in the morning, that’s all.”

“But you’re bleeding.”

“Yep and there’s more where that came from. Don’t they can’t get rid of me that easily.” I tried to smile at her, but soon flinched.

“You’re one of those vampires, aren’t you?”

“Yes.”

“Why haven’t you tried to kill me?”

“I don’t drink blood.”

“Are you a light vampire?”

“No.”

“And yet you saved me.”

I held my tongue.

“So you are a blood drinker?”

“No!” She flinched at my yell.

“Then what are you?”

“A freak! An incomplete dark vampire.” I could hardly speak the last words. “I refuse to drink blood.”

There was silence for a moment.

“You’re not a freak.” I looked up at her stunned. “You’re strong.”

I was speechless. What type of human was this that stood without fear in the presence of a, well feared, dark vampire applauding her for her strength?

A few moments past and I started to get the creeping feeling that if we stayed here it wouldn’t be good.

“Come on, I’ll walk you home.” I broke the silence.

“But…” she tried to argue.

“I’m fine. I’m strong, remember?” I hoped that that would reassure her.

She didn’t speak at first, then, answered, “Okay, thank you.”

As we walked tried not to limp or show pain. The venom had started to take advantage of my weakness and started to make my entire body feel as if it were deteriorating, but I refused to show my agony.

When we arrived at her house she offered me a place to stay for the night, but I turned her down. As she safely shut her door I felt the silence of the night catch hold of me.

Now I couldn’t help, but show every ache as I dragged myself toward my home with the vampires which was, sadly, still two miles away. With my flight and speed I could have easily gotten there, but I was too weak. I could barely walk, let alone fly.