Chapter 10

“Right here please.” I said to the driver as we started to pass the familiar old building I wondered if I could still call it home.

“Are you sure miss? It’s dark out and a woman shouldn’t be out here alone”

I found it odd that a human was worried about me, even one who didn’t know me but I answered him nonetheless. “I’ll be fine.”

“But miss I’ve heard some stories about this place. It’s not safe.”

“Thank you for your concern, but I assure you there is no safer place for me.”

“You have friends here?”

“Yes.”

“Well I hope you enjoy your visit, then miss.”

“Thank you.”

“Would you like me to wait here for you?”

“No thank you.”

“Have a nice night, then.”

“You too.”

As I walked up to the door it opened.

“Come in.” I heard a familiar voice speak as I walked in; it was Stephanie closing the door behind me.

“Stephanie?”

“Blue Eyes.” She went down to one knee and bowed to me.

“What are you doing?”

“I’m sorry for my disrespect to you; I owe you all of my respect.”

“What changed?”

“You’re a wing gifter; you gave Claire her wings.”

I looked down at the mention of my dear friend’s name. I walked away from her to Mother Light’s room. As I was about to knock on her door, it opened, and Mother Light wrapped me in a hug.

“Mother?”

“I’m so glad you’re safe.”

As soon as she let me go I kneeled to one knee and bowed.

“I’m sorry for coming back after I turned back into a human.”

“Why child?”

“You said as long as I remained an incomplete dark vampire I would be welcome here.”

“Charlotte you are welcome here always as long as it is you.”

“Thank you. Here’s your charm.”

“Daughter,” she kneeled in front of me, closed my hand around the charm, and pushed my chin up so that my eyes met hers. “This is yours. I gave it to you to protect you. I want it to keep protecting you as it has done.”

I looked at the charm, then to her.

“I’m so proud of you.”

“Mother, Claire…”

“I know and I am proud of her too.” I didn’t understand.

“She died.”

“Yes in protecting you.” I couldn’t help the tears that ran from my eyes. “Daughter, you gave her her wings. She’s free.”

“Free?”

“Yes My darling girl, we are under a curse; we are known as angels without wings, cursed to be trapped in human bodies until we can earn our wings back.”

“But…”

“You know how arrogant our kind is. That’s a part of the curse. That is what keeps us from getting our wings. To earn our wings we must overcome the curse.”

“But you aren’t arrogant.”

“Not for a very long time now.”

“Then why aren’t you free?”

“I earned my wings only thirty years after being born a light vampire, protecting my human love; I respectfully declined them for the time being.”

“Why?”

“Because my children still needed me, and they still do.”

“But…”

“I’ll go when the time is right, for now I stay here for you and them.”

It was unlike me, but I hugged her tightly. I never realized how much she sacrificed.

“Let’s get you home.”

She walked me outside and lifted us both off the ground. As she held both of my wrists we glided through the sky. The full moon shined bright over head as we found ourselves approaching my human home.

“Mother,” Once we were on the ground I turned and looked at her. “after she died Claire said she gave me a gift. Is that why I’m human again?”

“Yes. You freed her from her curse, so she freed you from yours.”

I lowered my eyes at Mother Light’s responds.

“Be happy. She gave you your life back. Enjoy it.”

“Yes.”

She hugged me tightly.

“Be safe daughter. Visit anytime you want. Oh and before I forget sprinkle some of this around your shop.” She handed me a small bag. “It will make it a safe ground.”

“Thank you.”

She flew into the night sky and headed home. I turned to go into my own home and went to bed; tomorrow would be a big day, the day I reopened my shop.