Chapter 5

The next thing I knew I woke up on my bed with Claire sitting next to me. As I breathed out and opened my eye Claire gasped.

                “Blue Eyes you’re…”

                “Perfectly fine.” I cut her off before she could speak the words I was expecting.

                “But…”

                “I’m fine.”

                “Always so stubborn.” Mother Light appeared in the doorway smiling at me, arms folded.

                “Mother.” Claire bowed her head to her leader.

                “I’m glad to see you’re alright.” She addressed me as she spoke.

                “Thank you. I apologize I can’t at least stand.”

                “How many times must I tell you that’s unnecessary?” She strolled further into the room.

                “Excuse me, Mother.” Claire walked out of the room after getting Mother Light’s nod of approval.

                Once the door shut Mother Light came next to me and kneeled. I saw then that she was holding a small bag.

                “Here.” She pulled a small blue leaf with silver-lining from the bag and put it toward my mouth.

                I softly pushed it away back towards her.

                I whispered the words, “Save your medicine for someone who needs it.”

                “Charlotte…”

                “No, I’m fine. It’s just a little scratch.”

                “You’re lying to me now.”

                I smiled at her, she knew me to well, but I soon saw the worry in her face.

                “I’m fine, I promise.”

                “Take this.”

              I looked to see her take my hand in hers and place a beautiful necklace into it. The necklace had a silver chain with a magnificent little sparkling blue gem hanging from it.

                As I admired the stone Mother Light spoke, “This is a charm. It will protect my memories and give you strength. Don’t forget who you are and how well you’ve fought. You’ve made so far and suffered so much, you still have so much suffering ahead of you too. Keep this with you.”

                “Thank you. I will.” I knew she was concerned for me by how the sound in her voice and giving me this charm; she may not know exactly what was going to happen, but she sensed something going to happen and so did I.

                Mother Light was what was known as a healer; her spells, medicines, and charms only proved that. It was rare, though; Mother Light only used her gift on those she felt truly deserved it, which, even though she was kind, she was honest.

                As she walked back toward the door turned to look at me again.

                “Please be safe, my child.”

                “I’ll try Mother.”

                After the door shut behind her I sighed and Claire returned back into the room.

               “Blue Eyes,” Claire still looked concerned. “are you healed? Did she help you?”

               “No…”

               “Oh…”

               “I turned her down.”

              “Are you nuts? You are hurt worse than I’ve ever seen you not dead and you turn her down?”

               “She needs to safe it for someone who really needs it.”

               “You really needed it! I know you’re strong, but this is too much.”

               I started to see her teeth grow into the fangs which all vampires have regardless whether they were light or dark.

               “Don’t!” I grabbed her arm the moment I saw her start to lift it toward her mouth.

               Just as a dark vampire’s blood was venom, so too was a light vampire’s blood a cure to nearly any illness. There was only one thing which no one knew what would happen if mixed; light with dark vampire blood. The only reason light vampires weren’t hunted were because; one, there were very few people who knew outside of the white vampires, themselves, and two, the only thing that can break a light vampire’s skin is the fangs of a light vampire and there is no way to force a light vampire to reveal their fangs without their consent.

               “You need help.” Claire tried to reason with me.

               “I won’t let you make yourself venerable.”

               Although a light vampires’ fangs are the only things that can break their skin, once their skin is broken it can be torn and eventually the cause of that vampire’s death.

               “I just need to rest. I will be fine.”

               Tears were running down the skin of her face now.

               “Please, I can’t lose you too.”

               I took her hand in mine and looked into her silver-purple eyes, “You won’t. I give my word.”

              Claire held my hand tightly as if letting go of it meant I would slip away from her. I fell asleep with her next to me.