Chapter three

Chapter three

The painted wood opened on silent hinges, revealing Joseph with his head inclined. His limp black hair that hung almost to his nose fell slightly forward. “Adrian, Bru—”

“Peter,” Bruno interrupted tersely.

I would've shot him a look if my gaze wasn't glued to Joseph. Seeing him, I was back to sitting on the throne in Grim, and the warmth of power writhed underneath my skin like an uncomfortable ghost. I glanced away, but not at Bruno, the moment too awkward. I was distantly aware of the tension running in Bruno's jaw all the way down to his limbs.

“Peter,” Joseph corrected.

I cut in before Bruno could say anything else. “Um.” I swallowed, fiddled with my sleeves. What a way to cut in. “We're here because Bruno wants you to tell him about the AI before we go.” 

Joseph stepped aside to make room for us to enter. “Of course.”

I brushed past him, eager for this moment to pass already. Bruno made sure he was the last to enter and slammed the door, locking it with a flick of his wrist. I strode to the dining room then turned to face the two men, fingering my pendant, letting the sharp points of the star dig into the tips of my fingers.

“Adrian?” It was Bruno. “Can I speak to Joseph alone for a sec?”

I hesitated. “Why?”

“Please.”

I stared at Bruno warily, something off. Standing in front of him, I searched his face. He blinked, remaining expressionless. I don't know why, but my hand went for his shirt, yanking it up to reveal a handle sticking out the waistband of his jeans. Bruno grabbed my arm the same moment my fingers encircled the handle. “Careful,” he warned softly. “It's loaded.”

Tears blurred my vision. I could scarcely hold the gun. It felt heavy and wrong in my hands. Yet familiar.

“Why do you have this?” I whispered.

“For protection.”

It was a 9mm caliber, the same one my mother and I used to have all those years ago. Bruno made no move to retrieve it. He stood still as the silence shrouding the apartment. 

Joseph spoke. “Please, do not let my past speak for me. I will be of no harm to either of you.”

Bruno's mouth set in a grim line. “Your words mean shit to me.”

“Then let my actions speak for me.”

“They already have,” Bruno said. “You stalked Adrian. You abducted her.”

“I shouldn't have,” Joseph said, to Bruno's disbelief. “I am sorry.”

Bruno snapped. “What fucking game are you playing?”

“Joseph,” I said, and felt stricken with the dull, empty force of his gaze. Those were the eyes of the finished. The hollow. “Can we have privacy, please?”

After Joseph disappeared in the kitchen Bruno sharply  turned his attention to me. “Why do you talk to him that way? You make your voice softer as if—as if—”

“As if he's a human being?” While he and Joseph were exchanging words, I tucked the gun safely in the waistband of my jeans, letting Bruno's hoodie cover it. It was ice against my back. “Don't tell me you were planning what I think you were with this gun.” My words shook slightly, disrupted by more hurt than anger.