Chapter thirty-six

Chapter thirty-six

Joseph strode toward us, stopping only close enough for me to see the haunted look in his eyes. "This is what I wake up to after lying on my deathbed? My own blood, my own Adrian, plotting against me? At least the singer here could muster some pride."

That was a slap. I whirled on Bruno, and seeing that downward pull of guilt on his lips, I knew that Joseph was right. How could I forget? Bruno had the forest—the earth—whatever surrounding area he came into range with on his side. I was positive Joseph's sudden presence was no surprise to him. I would bet my life he knew the exact second his eyes opened. And he'd kept quiet about it. Because the last thing Bruno would ever do was run from Joseph. His ego didn't have room for it.

"Joseph," Rev began, but Joseph sent him a cold, dead stare that immediately silenced him.

"I do not want to hear you speak. I should have anticipated another betrayal from you. But Adrian? You have encountered Rev only three times." He lifted the appropriate amount of fingers. "Please do not tell me you listen to the whispers of a stranger."

A blaze of rage, mistrust, and pain settled and filled inside my heart. I met his gaze. "I'll let this do the speaking for me." I watched him carefully as I revealed his journal. For a moment, his eyes followed it, the rest of his face remaining a mask.

"You've already been a violation to my privacy." He extended his hand. "Please."

"Tell me it was planned."

"What?"

"Unhomboldt. Tell me it was planned. I'm giving you a chance to explain yourself, Joseph."

"And what will come of it?" His coat of dark silk shadowed him as he took a step closer. "Will you still leave me? I will admit to anything if you stay. Do not go."

As much as I did not want it to—I felt my heart twinge. I clenched my teeth. I had to remind myself that weak was how he loved me best. A fragile, unwhole thing. I drew myself together, feeling Bruno and Rev next to me, watchful, steady. "Why should I stay?"

Joseph's eyes flitted to Bruno, then his father, and if we had not been connected, I might not have caught them grow just a shade darker. "We kissed."

Bruno tensed.

"Do you remember, singer?" Joseph narrowed his eyes at Bruno, who stood eerily quiet. 

I imagined him remembering the scene. Bursting into Stephanie's only to find us entwined in a way he and I never could. A day ago, the memory would have left me with shame, would have lowered my head toward the ground. But had I not done it to extend Bruno's life? And admittedly, to relinquish a certain craving? Why should there be shame in that? "What's your point?" I said, succeeding at sounding indifferent. 

Joseph cocked his head, studying me. "I need you." 

"I trusted you."

Joseph did not respond.

"So where should I start? Page one?" I turned the leather cover open, smelled the sharp aroma of ink and hours of dedication.  

"My gun? Where is it?" Bruno said to me quietly.