Epilogue

Epilogue

He was waiting for me and beneath the street lights his skin glowed like an angel. I felt like he was sent to this Earth to save me and make everything all right again. And everything would be all right again if I could just touch him.

Slowly I walked toward him, and the entire time he wouldn’t look at me. With each step the pain in my chest grew tighter until I could barely breathe. I sat down next to him at the bottom of the stairs, not able to speak, barely able to think. I just wanted to tell him how sorry I am and how it’s not how it appears, but I couldn’t get the words to come out.

“I’m sorry,” he says first. “I never should have sprung that on you like that. I don’t even know what I was thinking, Jesse. I was a fool if I thought you’d say yes.”

“But Kingsley—”

“You should have seen the look on your face,” he told me. “You looked horrified, as if you’d rather be any other place than right there with me. And if you forgive me, if you still think I’m worthy enough to be your boyfriend—hell, I’ll even settle on friend—I promise to never do anything so stupid again.”

“Kingsley stop,” I say finally when he gives me the one chance to cut in. “God, I am such an idiot.” I ran my hands through my hair and sighed, not facing him because I was too afraid too. “I never wanted to give you the impression that I don’t love you, because I do. I love you so much my poor, pathetic heart can barely take it. It’s just—you caught me off guard. First with the paintings, and then everyone was staring at me and then you started to profess your love. I never would have thought in a million years you’d do any of that, let alone propose. You just kind of…blew my mind, I guess.”

I felt his eyes on me before long before I saw them. I saw the pain and the curiosity. I saw the love.

“So have you given the idea any thought?” he wondered. His hands were clenching and unclenching and I knew if I were to put my hand to his chest I would feel his heart beating just like mine.

I nodded, “Yes.”

“And what do you think?”

I hesitated, but knew I had to put it out there, for better or for worse.  “I want to spend the rest of my life making you happy.” I took his hands in mine and made him look at me. He smiled at the little contact. “And I want to spend the rest of my life making you smile just like that. I want to spend the rest of my life as the devil’s assistant because a life as anything else would be cold and meaningless. And I…want to marry you, Kingsley. I love you.”

“What?” he asked surprised. Suddenly he jumped up and brought me along with him. “Did you just say what I thought you did?”

“Yes,” I told him. “I want to marry you, Kingsley Thomas, the Devil of all devils. Don’t make me say it again or I might reconsider.” I laughed and smiled mischievously, but he kissed it right off my lips and pushed me into the side of the house, pressing against me so hard I could feel all of him. I was heated and out of breath when he pulled away.

“Wait right here,” he said and left a second later. I just stood there, shocked and turned on at the same time. Wow, what a kiss, I thought and then straightened myself up. Leaning against the railing, I watched the stars as I waiting for him to return.

I heard Kingsley meet me again and he kissed my exposed neck before tilting my head back down to him. He took my left hand and something smooth and cold slid onto my little finger. When I looked down I saw a ring big enough to buy the continent of Africa.

“How in the world could you afford this?” I asked him.

“Jesse, I’m a lot more successful than you think. I’m not just an artist, I’m a business man.”