Chapter Ten

Chapter Ten

That night I couldn’t sleep. I couldn't get Kingsley out of my head.

What did he mean maybe I’m the one who needs to change? He’s the jerk! He’s the one who broke my parents up!

Forcing myself out of bed I walked outside and sat on the apartment stairs for a while, lighting up one of my best friends and staring up at the stars. They were amazing tonight, the most I’ve ever seen in the city before. I don’t know anything about stars and the constellations they make --Kingsley could probably point out every single one in the sky and put a name to it--I can’t even find the big dipper. 

Do you mind if I sit here?” Someone asked, making my head snap down to my hand, focusing on the joint guiltily between my fingers.

Oh shit! I think. I’m going to jail. I am so going to freaking jail.

Quickly and discreetly (I hoped), I stuffed the joint into my fuzzy slipper and put on an air of nonchalance, my eyes meeting dark brown ones, slightly blanketed by swooping dirty blonde hair and thick dark lashes tipped in gold.

He’s really cute, whoever he is. And he smells delicious. Oh god I hope he doesn’t see my blush.

‘Y-yeah, sure,” I finally answer, my heart doing cartwheels in my chest. My cheeks were on fire.

What if he decides to turn me in? Not only did he clearly see me with a joint in my mouth, but the smell is everywhere, leaking across the entire residential parking lot.

I should have known better, really, but hardly anyone comes home this late in the night, and it’s such a tiny complex, not many people actually live here. Most of the apartments are empty.

“So are you going to share or what?” The guys ask with a wink, looking into my eyes like he could see my soul.

“W-what?” I stumble, my breath caught somewhere inside my chest. What the hell is going on here? Is this…is this love at first sight or something? Damn, and his smile is so sexy, all teeth and confidence. He licked his lips and it sent me swooning.

“That joint you just put into your slipper,” he clarified for me, waving a hand at my right foot. I knew it. I knew he saw me.

“Are you serious?” I say, questionably, my heart racing a mile a minute inside my chest. It felt like any minute it would break free. “I don’t even know you.”

“Well I suppose I could just call the landlord and tell him one of his tenants is--”

“You’re an asshole and I bet you don’t even know his number,” I say confidently, crossing  my leg under my robe. Damn it, the joint came rolling out. Before I could even reach to pick it up he grabbed it and pulled out a lighter.

“What are you doing?” I whisper yell at him, not wanting to wake anyone up and start even more trouble. What is with this guy? Are all l the cute ones this dense?

“I’m confiscating this,’ he said, grinning, my best friend hanging loosely between his full pink lips.

“But it’s mine!” I whined, reaching for it, but he just stood up, getting out of arms reach. His hand went up to his mouth to light it but then he pulled it away, giving me a devastatingly handsome smile.

“Well, I suppose I could give it back,” he said slyly, “for a kiss.”

“Fuck you!” I say getting up. I’m going back to bed. I do not need any of this right now. Ha. Love of my life my ass. This guy is a completely horn dog and jerk, just like another guy I know.