Chapter Twenty-One

A/N: Hey guys, sorry it took me so long to upload but I'm going to upload the rest of the chapters today... Also, i fixed chapter 20 (i didn't realize it was blank) so if you haven't read it yet, it's up. Oookay, that's all. Enjoy :)

Chapter Twenty-One

The next morning I awoke to the smell of pancakes, eggs and bacon and wondered if I had died in my sleep and gone to heaven. No one cooks in this place, and with what food?

“Oh good, you’re awake,” Natty says on her way past the door. She wore a cute designer skirt suit, probably getting ready to leave for work.

“What’s going on?” I ask, my head foggy with sleep and strange dreams.  “Where’s that smell coming from?”

“Ben came over early to make me breakfast,” she told me. When my face dropped she smiled and added, “Don’t worry, there’s enough for you, too,” before she walked away. I grumbled and climbed out of bed. Reaching over and underneath the mattress, I searched for my little baggy, but forgot, I don’t live here anymore. It’s still kind of hard to get used to.

The dress I wore last night is a mess and now hangs behind the bedroom door, leaving water stains on the paint as it dried. Luckily Natty loves me enough to let me borrow a pair of her pajamas.

When I came out and made my way into the kitchen I found Ben, shirtless, cooking bacon over a hot stove. When he turned around at me, smiling because he thought I was Natty, I snorted. Doesn’t he know cooking bacon without clothes is a big no-no? It’s like an unwritten rule, or something. The cheating bastard! How could Natty find someone so dense? Ben’s about as full of himself as they come. What next? Is he going to serve us breakfast on his chest?

“Thanks for cooking, honey,” Natty said as she entered the kitchen. She kissed her honey’s cheek and sat down. I took seat next to her. The only reason why I’m going along with an of this BS is because there’s food and I guess that even though Ben’s not a very good cheater, he’s a great cook, but I wasn’t happy about. I sported a frown with every mouthful of scrambled egg and when he asked what I thought I scowled at him and grunted.

“What’s up with the monkey act?” Natty laughs at my face. “You look and sound like you’re constipated.” Ben chuckled, but when I shot him a deadly glare his mouth shut immediately.

“You know what’s up,” I tell her and pick up my steaming hot plate. “Thanks for the food, but I think I’ll just take it to go.”

“What?” How can she be so confused, I thought I was pretty clear….

“I’m going to let you work out some problems, so I’m going to leave and work out some of mine, okay? And I’m taking the food with me.”

“Oh, this again,” she sighed exasperatedly.

“What’s going on?” Ben asks.

“Nothing,” Natty and I both say at the same time.

“Actually there is a little bit of something,” I begin to say suggestively, waiting for Natty to just come out and interrogate him already.

“But seeing as you have to go and everything, I’ll save it for later,” she finished. “Bye Jesse, see you later, and don’t forget to bring my plate back!”

She bum rushed me out of the apartment and closed the door shut behind me without saying another word. I hope for her sake she gets her head out of this fantasy world she’s been living in. It’s bad enough one of us is hurting, but if both of our hearts are broken, whose shoulder will be there to lean on?