The Mermaid Spring

One morning, Melinae decided she was going to go for an adventure. She wanted to see more of the tiny town she'd very recently called home. Even though she lived here for nearly a month, Melinae had never actually explored the area; she was always too busy. Today, however, she wanted to see it all.
She quickly discovered a beach and grinned brightly. There were few places Melinae loved more than the beach, especially on a warm day. She looked around, noticing there was nobody else there. How could nobody be at the beach on such a wonderful day?
Shrugging, the girl ran down to the edge of the water, dipping her feet in and giggling at the lovely feeling of the cool water. She looked side to side, looking down the length of the shore. Something caught her eye and she walked closer to investigate. There was a rock with a hole that lead down to... somewhere.
Curious as the girl was, she crouched down and squeezed through the hole. It didn't take long for her to drop down into a cavern. She gasped softly, looking at the small pond that took up the majority of the area. The cave was barely large enough for one person, she had to crouch with her feet on either side of it, her back scraping against the top.
The water seemed to glow in a rainbow of colours, Melinae had never seen anything like it! She reached down with a hand to touch the surface of the pretty water and its warmth made her hand tingle. As she watched, the glow from the pond moved up her arm, quickly covering her entire body. She looked at her rainbow body in amazement, wondering what was in store for her in this magical place.
The glow settled into her skin, changing the colour from pale brown to vibrant yellow with stripes of the rainbow all along her legs. For a moment, it looked as if she'd tatooed her entire body with the pattern of fish scales. However, the skin quickly hardened into actual scales and Melinae grinned. She suddenly knew what she was being turned into.
Her legs quickly pulled together to melt into a single mass. She watched as it was pulled into a long, serpentine tail. Her feet pulled out into bright blue and purple fins and soon the cavern was filled mostly by her enormous tail. Her ears pulled out into pointed fins and gills opened on her sides.
Melinae frowned a little. "I'm stuck now... how am i supposed to enjoy being a mermaid when i fill this entire cavern?"
The water took that as a request and snaked up around her giant form. It pushed the mermaid closer into herself, shrinking her down. She became smaller and smaller until she was only a foot long. As punishment for complaining, the water flattened her arms into small fins and pushed her humanoid torso into her widening tail and shrinking her further until she was a simple, tiny fish.
Melinae didn't mind though. She enjoyed being a fish the size of her finger. The little being swam off through a hole in the side of a cave to start her life as a fish.