Chapter 15

I pulled the rope from my ankles and got to my feet wobbling slightly. Grabbing the bed post, I regained my balance and made my way to the door. I searched the apartment for anything, a phone, a computer, anything I could contact someone with. I raided drawers, cupboards. Nothing. There was nothing. I was going to give up. But I remembered where Kyle used to hide everything. It was a great hiding place because no one ever looked there. I searched frantically for old video boxes. It was a genius place to hide things, but I knew he would have forgotten that he had told me his hiding place. I found a shelf full of videos and began to crack them open. I found money and keys and jewellery and in one of the boxes I found my mobile. I closed all the boxes and replaced them on the shelf again, in the order I found them so nothing looked out of the ordinary. I turned my phone on and was bombarded with missed calls and text messages, most of which were from Lily. The messages started off with things like “Hey, sweetie. That's me back. My Dad said I can come see you once I've unpacked! <3” and “I miss you :( <3”. But as the days passed, Lily got worried. “Hey, are you okay? <3”, “Why aren't you answering? Are you okay?”, “Where were you today? You never miss school?”, “Chloe, you're scaring me. I don't know where you are and neither does your family or Ally. When you can phone one of us. We are so worried.” The messages continued. I decided I'd phone her.

The phone rang a few times before Lily answered. I never got the usual greeting.

“Where are you Chloe? Why aren't you at home? Where have you been? The police have been out looking for you? God, please tell me you're okay,” Lily asked hysterically, sobbing as she did so.

“Lily, look I don't have time to answer but I need you to help me. I'm in a flat. The convent. Do you know where that is?” I asked, my voice serious.

“Yes, but why are you there?”

“That doesn't matter, look tell the police, tell my family, tell anyone who can help me. I'm on the second floor. You have to help me, please.” I begged, the tears stormed my face once again. I heard keys rattling in the door. “Please, Lily. I can't get out of here if you don't help me.”

“Okay, just hold on. I'll be as fast as I can. Can you stay on the line?” But I never got the chance to answer, my phone was prised from my hand and threw across the room. Kyle pushed me to the floor, and kicked me in the stomach causing me to cough and splutter. Memories from the night I got attacked flooded on into my head. I curled up, in a feeble to protect myself.

“You had your chance to freedom and you never even phoned for help?” Kyle laughed. “You aren't very clever are you? When will you tell her that you don't love her? Tell her you love me. Tell her because you know it's true!” He spat.

“I don't love you, maybe once I did but not now, not after this. What happened to you, Kyle? You've turned into a monster.”

“What happened to me?” He cried. “You happened to me. You got to me, you got under my skin. You and that, that thing, destroyed everything. I'm the laughing stock of the school because of you! My ex girl friend is a lesbian. And to add insult to injury, I still loved you and you are parading around with your tongue down her throat. It's wrong. It's disgusting. She is disgusting.” Venom dripped from his tongue. “You're mine. You'll forget her quickly enough. One day we will look back at this and laugh. But not yet. Someone has to share my pain, and unluckily for you, you are that person.” And with that, he kicked me again. I cried out as his boot slammed against my shin.

“Why didn't you just say something? You had your chances. You broke up with me.” I cried at the remembrance of the painful memories. He just looked at me dumbstruck. I took the opportunity. I pulled one of the wooden stakes I tied to my ankle and embedded it deep into Kyle's leg. He fell to the ground, clutching his leg. I got to my feet, clutching my stomach and bent over slightly. “Now you can share my pain.” I spat. There were dull thuds on the front door and I shouted for them to come in. In seconds there were police everywhere. I don't know if it was because of my injuries or loss of blood or what, but the last thing I remember was my knees giving way and I collapsed onto the carpet.