Chapter Thirteen

CHAPTER THIRTEEN

I switch my gaze to my hands, as the tape starts and I hear the familiar voice of Lisa speak.

‘Exhibit A, from San Francisco, California, Sara Thompson!’

I hear a soft sob, and don’t have to raise my head to know its Meagan crying.

I wipe the tear that rolls down my cheek and glance at Laila, who is staring at her hands as well.

I close my eyes, trying to ignore the sound of the tape in the background as well as the soft murmurs of Detective Marshall and his partner Detective Jameson as they watch the tape in a medium sized television that an officer brought to the room.

I hear someone sigh and raise my gaze towards a blushing Emilie.

I furrow my eyebrows, switching my gaze towards the television, where a naked Emilie is trying to submerge herself in the cold lake.

It’s too dark outside to expose Emilie’s bare body, but you can tell by the dim light of the moon that she’s not wearing anything.

A few minutes pass and I hear Laila crying softly beside me.

I squeeze her hand softly, and freeze hearing the sound of the recording.

‘Ready?’ I hear Lisa’s voice say ‘Go!’

My eyes rise involuntarily, as I watch Laila run towards the men in the campsite.

The camera zooms and freezes as I watch the four men turn around.

‘There.’ I hear Detective Jameson tell Detective Marshall as I start breathing heavily. ‘This is all the proof we need, beside their testimony.’

‘Turn it off.’ I whisper staring at the face of the skinny man with the raspy voice.

The same man I shot to his death.

‘Turn it off!’ I yell standing up from my seat and walking towards the TV.

Detective Marshall holds me back as I start sobbing. ‘Please turn it off.’ I say in a broken voice, feeling all strength leave my body as I feel myself slipping into darkness.

I wake up in a hospital room, my eyes being partially blinded by the bright white lights in the ceiling.

I try bringing my right hand to shield my eyes but fail when I feel it being held back by handcuffs.