Chapter One

CHAPTER ONE

The soft hum of the radio lulled me to a calm slumber as the long ride to Savannah, Georgia topped seven hours.

I sigh, letting my eyes open and roam through the vast tree line along the road.

‘How long until we get there?’ I ask for what seems the hundredth time.

‘About thirty minutes.’ Laila, my bestfriend, replies with a yawn.

I straighten in my seat, stretching my limbs in the small mini cooper.

‘You should’ve let me drive. You’re dead on your feet.’ I say staring at her tired face.

‘Gee, thanks Spencer.’ Laila says with an eye roll. ‘Though the term –dead on your feet- doesn’t really fit in the matter.’

I stare at her with furrowed eyebrows. ‘What are you talking ab—‘

‘More like –dead on your seat-‘ She says with a soft chuckle.

I stare at her for a couple of seconds before chuckling slightly. ‘You’re.. weird.’ I shake my head at her.

‘Says the psychologist.’ Laila mutters under her breath.

I gasp, slapping her arm. ‘What is that supposed to mean?’

‘Ow!’ She laughs for a couple of seconds making me pout. ‘That hurts! You hit like a man!’

I smirk slightly thankful for all the brawls I went through with my older brother. Hence my ‘good arm’.

‘Serves you right’. I reply cockily.

I stare out through the windshield. The sun is setting, tinting the sky with shades of soft pink and orange.

‘Are you sure it’s alright I come?’ I ask Laila, my eyes still trained ahead of us.

I hear her sigh before replying. ‘Yes! For the millionth time Spence. The invitation said plus one. It never said male or female plus one. I can take whoever I want.’

I nod, biting my lip in nervousness. ‘Yeah I know. Sorry, I’m just..’ I sigh looking down at my lap before returning my gaze upfront. ‘I just don’t know what to say when I see him.’ I say letting out another sigh.

The car remains silent for a minute or two before Laila speaks up. ‘It’s been awhile Spence. Four years to be precise. I’m sure he’s over it.’ She says looking at me before returning her gaze to the road.

‘I know. It’s not just that—‘

‘Alright, then what is it?’ She interrupts me.

I stay silent, fidgeting with my hands. ‘It’s just a lot to take in.’ I reply finally. ‘I didn’t just leave him four years ago. I left his whole family too. You know how good they had always been with me, even more after.. you know.’ I sigh.

I take a glance at Laila, seeing her glancing back at me with a worried face.

‘I’m just glad you forgave me.’ I tell her truthfully.

‘Hey.’ She says pushing my shoulder slightly. ‘You couldn’t get rid of me that easily.’ She winks making me laugh and changing the mood to a brighter tone.

‘Plus.. it’s your love life. Theo may be my cousin, but you’re also my bestfriend. You guys breaking up doesn’t mean we should have stopped being friends—‘