Chapter Five

CHAPTER FIVE

Saturday, April 12, 2014

6:00 am.

There was no sound made in the room, apart from the tick tock of the clock, and our deep breathings.

‘So who wants to start?’ Detective Marshall interrupts through the silence.

Nothing.

Not a word, not a movement.

I remain seated, staring ahead of me, unaware of the three men in front of us.

‘There are two dead bodies, two injured people, one missing person and six detained for interrogation.’ Detective Marshall carries on speaking. ‘I have two men in a cell and another one waiting in the ICU for the trials, but I need to know what happened.’

Still.. not a word.

‘If you don’t speak up.. these men will get a year or two. Even worse, a free pass. So you see why I need to hear your side of the story. I need to hear what happened.’

‘The camera.’ Someone whispers, but I don’t bother to turn around.

‘What camera?’ Detective Marshall asks.

Silence.

I hear him sigh, as my mouth moves on its own accord.

‘We recorded.. everything.’ I say in a small voice, still staring ahead.

I see a shadow fall upon me, and find myself staring at the brown eyes of Detective Marshall as he crouches in front of me.

‘What did you record? Where is it?’ He asks in a gentle voice.

‘The woods.’ Someone whispers. ‘It’s in the woods! It’s in the woods!’ She starts sobbing loudly as my gaze remains trained to the detective.

He stares at a man, and motions him to go to her.

I faintly hear the voice of a man telling someone to relax as Detective Marshalls eyes turn back to me.

‘What’s everything?’ He asks.

‘Everything.’ I reply numbly. ‘The game.’

I watch his eyebrows furrow before speaking. ‘The game? You were in the woods.. playing a game?’ He asks.

I nod involuntarily.

‘All dares—‘