Chapter Three

CHAPTER THREE

‘I don’t think this is a good idea.’ I comment for the third time following the girls through the forest.

‘Relax, the dare won’t last twenty seconds, then we’re out.’ Sara says as I exchange a glance with Emilie.

‘I’m in this one with Spencer.’ Emilie intervenes. ‘We don’t know who these people are—‘

‘Girls, relax.’ Lisa interrupts Emilie. ‘We don’t even know if there’s anyone—‘

‘Oh there is.’ Sara states with a smirk. ‘I saw them when we drove here.’

‘Oh the guys in the camping site!’ Meagan’s eyes lit up in understanding.

I switch my glance to Laila, who remains silent my by side. ‘I don’t think this is a good idea La. We don’t know who these people are—‘

‘Don’t you think I know that?’ Laila whisper-yells at me. ‘But I have to do it. You know what happens if I don’t.’ She sighs dropping her gaze to the floor.

I sigh, the bad feeling in my gut intensifying after twenty minutes of walking.

We reach the campsite and I see a red beat up pick-up truck parked beside a campfire.

Four men drinking beer around it.

‘See. They’re even good looking.’ Sara says snickering.

‘Yeah if you’re into the whole delinquent style.’ Meagan says with furrowed eyebrows.  ‘I don’t know S.. they look creepy.’

Sara rolls her eyes as I keep staring at the men from behind the trees.

The bad feeling in my gut intensifying.

‘For God’s sake Meagan. Stop being a cry baby!’ She whisper-yells. ‘Now, Laila. Are you up to it? Yes or no?’ She turns facing Laila.

Laila glances at me before nodding her head. ‘Yes.’

Sara’s smile widens at this. ‘Now remember. You just have to yell: ‘Don’t light up my home. Mother nature commands you so’ then run back to us. Got it?’

Laila swallows but nods nonetheless. ‘Got it.’

‘Alright.’ Sara grins. ‘Take off your clothes.’

Laila removes her shirt with shaky hands, followed by her shorts.

‘Stop.’ We hear Lisa interject. ‘This men look creepy enough. Let her keep her underwear at least.’ She commands Sara and I see her stare back before giving in.

‘Fine.’ She says turning to Laila. ‘Leave your underwear on.’

Laila let’s out a breath in relief and so do I.

I take her clothes in my hands before whispering softly. ‘Just be quick and run as fast as you can.’

Laila nods, giving me a nervous smile. ‘I will.’

I nod and step back with the girls.

‘Ready?’ Lisa asks her. Laila nods. ‘Go!’

We stay back, watching Laila run towards the campsite.

She’s three feet away when the men turn around noticing her.