Chapter Three

My Girl

~Chapter Three~

"What do you want to wear today?" I asked Cora.

She sat at the end of her bed yawning. She looked so cute with her tired eyes and limp body.

"Something pink," she said in a small voice.

I nodded and looked through her closet. She owned a lot of pink clothes but I finally decided on a pair of pink jeans and a white shirt that had a kitten on it saying, Meow.

I gave Cora her clothes which she put on slowly. I picked out her pink sandals as she put on her shirt.

I was already dressed with my black jeans, white v-neck t-shirt, and comfortable shoes. I had already put my long brown hair in a messy bun. My hair didn't cooperate well today because I had woken up with it in knots.

I helped Cora do her own hair, braiding it to lay in the middle of her back. She looked so cute as she picked up her backpack and started heading to the door.

I grabbed some sunglasses and my keys so we could head off to Cora's preschool.

"Are you nervous?" I asked as I strapped her into the carseat.

She nodded without saying a word. I grew worried because one of the reasons we moved was because Cora was getting picked on at her old preschool. I didn't like it and and went to the teacher, and of course she did nothing about it. So we moved to get a fresh start.

"They will love you," I whispered while kissing her forehead.

It didn't take us long to get her to her preschool. Most of the kids were outside playing on the playground when I pulled into the parking lot.

I helped Cora out of her seat and laid her onto the ground. She took my hand in hers and leaned close to my body as we approached the teacher that was outside watching the kids play.

"Hello, my name is Samantha Lodges," I said while smiling and taking the teachers hand in mine to shake. "I called to enroll Cora here into the preschool."

I looked down at Cora who eyed the women nervously. I stroked her cheek and smiled at her to ease her worry.

"Hello, I am Mrs. Watson," she said while glancing at Cora in a nice way. "I am one of the aids that works here. I do art with them everyday."

I nodded as she lowered herself to Cora's height. Cora moved further into my leg and hugged my thigh.

"Hello Cora, do you like art?" she asked with a soft tone.

Cora hesitantly looked at Mrs. Watson and nodded slowly. I rubbed my palm against her hair smoothing down the fraying strands.

"Well today we are coming outside and drawing with chalk. You think you might enjoy that?" Mrs. Watson asked.

Cora nodded while smiling.

"How about you go play with the other kids honey," I pointed to the playground.

Cora nodded again and made her way slowly towards the play ground. A small group of girls came up to her and complimented her outfit. Cora said thank you respectfully as they asked her to play house with them. She smiled a toothy grin before turning to me.

She ran back to me and hugged me tightly. I kissed the top of her head with a smile.

"Have a good day sweetheart," I said as she ran back to her friends. "I will pick you up at three!"

I turned to Mrs. Watson and took off my glasses to look her into the eyes.

"We moved here just a few days ago because Cora was getting picked on back home. Please keep a close eye on her, I don't want her to experience that ever again," I said looking deeply into Mrs. Watson's eyes.

"Of course. I understand," she assured.

"Thank you, it was nice meeting you," I waved to Mrs. Watson.

My eyes found Cora as she played happily with her new friends. I left before I told myself she needed to be with me the rest of her life. But I knew better. She needed to live her life like how I lived mine when I was her age. I can't keep her from that or she will hate me later on for it.

But I still hoped and prayed no one picks on her. And if they do, I will talk to them personally if I have to.

~

"So tell me about yourself," Jimmy said as he leaned back in his chair and stared at me with little interest.

Jimmy was a fairly large man with a tall lanky body but a huge pot belly in front of him. He wore a black suit that just barely reached over his stomach. He had blond/grayish hair and cubby cheeks. He so far was a nice guy, really laid back and easy going.

"Well, Sir, my name is Samantha and I was born and raised in Manhattan. I have a daughter and we both moved down here to settle down and start a good life together," I paused and looked at Jimmy once again. "I have worked as a waitress before and I have done babysitting jobs throughout my teen years."

Jimmy nodded and sat up with his elbows on his desk. He placed his chin on one of the hands and just stared at me.

"You're hired," he said in a bored tone. "Martha will help you out when you need her. John, is your manager. He will make the schedules and help you out on the floor. I will give you your paycheck at the end of the week so yeah... You can leave now and talk to John."

I nodded and smiled, "Thank you again Sir for hiring me."

"For god sakes stop calling me Sir. Just call me Jimmy," he waved off.

"Sorry Si-Jimmy," I corrected myself. "Goodbye."

I walked out with a small goodbye from Jimmy. I made my way to the front of the diner where Martha and John were. I even saw another girl around my age working out in the front.

John stood behind the corner holding his chin lazily in his hands. He was in his early thirties most likely, with brown hair and hazel eyes.

"Hi, John?" I asked as I stood in front of him.

He glanced at me and immediately stood up straighter. He smiled a flirtatious smirk at me which made me want to gag on a spoon.

"Hello, how my I help you?" he asked.

I wanted to roll my eyes so bad but knew better. I forced a smile on my face and held out my hand for him to take.

"Samantha Lodges, I am here because Jimmy just hired me," I said while shanking his hand quickly and pulled away.

John nodded and looked me up and down with hungry eyes. I wanted to punch him in the face for being so inappropriate. I mean, he was my boss for gods sakes. I don't want him looking at me the way he is now all the time.

"Ah, the new waitress. Okay well, have you worked as a waitress before?" he asked while reaching under the counter and getting an apron.

"Yes, for a good two years," I took the apron and started putting it around my waist.

"Good, that means you don't need any training," John mumbled under his breath. "You can work the floor right now, in about an hour or so the lunch rush will be coming in. We will need all the help we can get."

"Alright sounds good," I said before getting a pad of paper and pens to put in my apron. "I will warn you, I can only work from 8 to 3 Monday through Friday if that is okay with you. I have to pick up my daughter otherwise."

"I will have to check the schedule to make sure those times are alright. I am pretty sure they are because Jenny works weekends and Monday and Tuesday. Martha works about everyday of the week. So that will work out just fine," John said while walking away.

I sighed and nodded happily. I have a stable job that pays good and will keep Cora and I afloat.

And with that, I turned and started working.

I know, I know, it's not all that good. But it does give information. Thank you for reading! Vote, comment, and all that good stuff.