First Match

The practice match against Karasuno High School's volleyball team goes by rather quickly. It was quite shocking, even to myself, to see how crazy Shouyou and his setter's quick was. I did not expect him to jump so high and neither did I expect him to adapt to the situation, hitting different styles of tosses that he had never practiced before.

When we were getting ready to leave, I was standing next to Kuro watching all the chaos unfold around me. Tora was getting along well with Karasuno's #5 and they seemed to be sad that they would part ways. On the other side of the spectrum, our assistant coach and Karasuno's coach seemed to be getting into eachothers faces, probably trying to rile eachother up. Then I noticed Shouyou approach me.

He spoke with such intensity about making me like volleyball or feel passionate towards the sport that I was taken aback with shock. I did not expect him to say that and the face that he had is one that I would always remember. Afterwards, I gave him my phone number so we could keep in touch. He seemed like a nice enough person and I felt that I would probably see him again in the future. Soon enough, the entire Karasuno team waved us goodbye as we left back to Tokyo.

I had just gotten back home when I feel my phone vibrate, probably from text messages. It vibrates three more times before I start to question it. No one texts me this much, unless...I unlock my phone and my suspicion is confirmed. It is three texts from Shouyou.

[Unknown Number]

Hey Kenma! It's Shouyou!

[Unknown Number]

Next time, we'll win!

[Unknown Number]

Travel safe!

[Unknown Number]

How far is Nekoma?

I smile as I see how random and sporadic his texts are, just like his personality. I rename the contact to Shouyou and then send a simple but accurate response to his texts.

[Kenma]

Okay. A 3 hour train ride away.

[Shouyou]

That's far!!

[Shouyou]

If I ever go to Tokyo show me the Skytree!

I go up to my room and put away my phone, knowing it may go off several more times. I pull out my Nintendo DS and power it on, getting ready to play some Pokemon. I play into the late hours of the night, thinking of Pokemon and sunshine.