A Flash of Humanity

Maddy was released from the hospital Sunday morning, and we were given rounds of antibiotics for her to take and instructions for her care.

There would be many more doctor visits and possibly some breathing equipment that we would either have to rent or purchase for Maddy's recovery.

At some point, I was going to have to face the crippling bills for all of this, but for now, my daughter was safe and that was all that mattered.

I carefully stayed away from all social media, opting to hole up in the house with my family for the rest of the day like the hermit James accused me of being.

Thankfully, Mrs. Yow had magnanimously given me the next week off so I could stay home and concentrate on my daughter. Briana and Lindsey however, had other plans for my Sunday. From seven in the morning until eleven at night, they called incessantly.

Lindsey was trying to arrange interviews with local news stations and top-market radio shows over the next few days, none of which I was looking forward to. Briana texted non-stop in between calls, asking for pictorial options of my paltry wardrobe and jewelry.

James begged to come on my whirlwind two-day press tour, but I convinced him that he was needed at my house with Maddy.

I felt terrible discouraging my best friend from all the hubbub, especially since he was the reason for my overnight notoriety. However, he agreed that the most important person in all of this was my daughter, and she needed consistency and comfort while on the mend.

That Monday, my mom agreed to watch Maddy while I took a black car to my first of many aimless talks with overly-bubbly personalities.

It was going to be at King Five Studios, and we were taping a casual sit down while Ninja Bear and I chatted about our upcoming concerts in Tacoma.

Briana was staring out at the dingy trees lining the highway as our car sped towards Seattle. At four in the morning, the roads were clear of people, but It was raining and gloomy outside and our driver was going at a speed that made me uncomfortable.

"So what's with you and Miles?" She asked in her grating voice while passively checking her phone.

"Absolutely nothing," I answered honestly. "He gave me a hug because I was a mess."

"Um, obvi." Briana retorted with a snort. "Look, let me give you a piece of advice."

She leaned over allowing her dark blue blouse to fall open enough for her red lace bra to poke out. Briana reminded me of the girls in high school that used their popularity to push other girls, like me, around.

"Miles is a mess you don't want." She continued. "Trust me."

"You sound as though you're speaking from experience?" I asked reflexively.

Briana shrugged with a coy smile and angled her face away momentarily. "If you're telling the truth, then stick to the talking points that Lindsey gives you, and you'll do fine." She replied.

"What's that supposed to mean?" I pressed. "Why hasn't Lindsey told people the truth?"

"She's waiting to hear your side of the story," Briana replied demurely.

"There's no story!" I cried boorishly. "I've been home dealing with the second worst shit-storm I've ever experienced, not making out with rock stars!"

"Was the first getting pregnant at fourteen?" Briana cracked as her thumbs attacked her phone.

Her flippant remark had sparked a fire so deep in my belly that I nearly vomited fire.