Like A Madonna?

"Why didn't you call me back?!" James cried the second he walked in the door.

"Ja-ames!" Maddy cried jubilantly.

Maddy rushed into James' arms for a big bear hug before he turned his green eyes to me. "So, why didn't you call me back?"

"I was too busy cleaning up your mess." I exclaimed. "If you hadn't noticed, things have gotten a little crazy around here."

"Thanks to me." James said with a wink and setting Maddy down to scamper away.

"Yeah, about that." I scolded him with my eyes, trying to keep a smile off my face.

"So, you're made at me for changing your life with my amazing friendship and unwavering support of your talent?" James was teasing, we both knew there was no animosity between us.

"Not mad, I'm still too shocked to be mad." I promised.

James opened his meaty arms for another hug and I accepted, sinking into the familiar heat of my best friend's chest. James was a haystack of a young man, with clear green eyes and a massive heart.

We've been best friends since sixth grade camp, and unlike many of the kids who didn't want to be tainted by my bad influence in our later teens, James had stuck by me through thick and thin. James would even say it himself, 'I'm thick and she's thin.'

"I told you, you were great, but would you listen to me? Noooo." James rocked my body back and forth protectively.

"I never listen to you." I mumbled.

"So, what's my cut?" James asked as we pulled away.

"You're cut?" I scoffed. "You're not my manager."

"I might as well be!" James laughed hard enough to sake the loudly patterned bowling shirt he had on. "What are they paying you for this?"

"Nothing, I think." I responded. "Lindsey didn't mention anything about payment."

"Who's Lindsey?"

"She's the publicist for Ninja Bear." I told him. "She's like Mary Poppins, if Mary Poppins were a bottle-blonde and scary skinny with a really wonky British accent."

"So, she's more like a Madonna?" James supplied with a cheeky smile. "Is her accent real or fake?"

"Real, I think." I grinned back (not that I would be able to tell the difference.) "Hey, can you work my shift tomorrow at The Grind? They're already running me around for this thing."

"Where are they taking you?"

"Seven Salon?" I replied with trepidation. "I'm supposed to be there tomorrow morning at eight."

"Ouch! And, awesome!" James' eyes popped at this. "My step mom goes there to get ready for big Microsoft events. They have a DJ spinning records and cappuccino."

James was lucky enough to have two sets of parents with high-powered jobs and loads of money. 

"Is it a club or a salon?" I joked offhandedly.

Inside, I was petrified. On a daily basis, I go from work to my house and I spend all my time with a three-year-old. My looks and primping routine are the last things on my radar as priorities, and I'm sure it showed.

"How long is your opening set?" James asked as we settled in to color with Maddy on the kitchen floor.

"Lindsey didn't say." I mused thoughtfully.

"See? This is why you need me as your manager!" James scolded. "I can take care of the big picture stuff, while you focus on being a star."