Part 6 - "Do you wanna have a slumber party in my basement?"

My phone started vibrating. I looked at the caller ID. 'Mom'. "Gwen. Gwen Gwen!!" I yelled holding Josh's arm. Liam sat next to me and Gwen jumped on the couch behind me. "What do I do?" I said to them. "Ignore it." Josh said and took my phone. He clicked the ignore button. I shoved my phone in my pocket and started shaking.

"I need to get away from here." I said. "If you just call the cops then-" I started shaking my head. "Then what? I'll go into an adoption center. If she escapes, she will come after me. She will come after all of you." I said and put my head in my hands. "It's the only way to keep you safe Lace. My mom could adopt you. She loves you. You're already like her daughter." I looked up at Gwen. "Could we go ask her?" I asked Gwen. She nodded and took my hand to help me up.

We linked arms while walking up the stairs. "Mom?" Gwen asked. "In here." We heard from the kitchen. We walked in and Laurel was on her laptop. "Lacey is worried about her... situation if she calls the cops. She doesn't want to go into an adoption center." Gwen said. "She was wondering if you would consider adopting her." Gwen added noticing my silence. "Oh. Of course I would. You basically live here already." Laurel said smiling at me. "Thanks. But should I call the cops now?" I asked her. She nodded. "Do you want me to?" Laurel asked. I nodded and sighed in relief. "That would be great." I said and smiled. "Okay. I'll call right now. Go downstairs. I'll let you know when everything is taken care of." I nodded and Gwen and I were at the stairs. "Oh tell them she is armed. She has a gun." I said and she looked at me worriedly but nodded.

We walked downstairs. "How did it go?" Josh asked once I sat down again. "Good." I said smiling. "What time is it?" I asked randomly. "7:30. Would your mom mind if I spend the night Gwen?" Josh asked. "She shouldn't. Just as long as we go to sleep early. School tomorrow. Do you want to stay too Liam?" Gwen asked. "Sure. I'll let my mom know."