A Serious Case of Deja Vu

(AN Picture is of Melanie)

Melanie's POV

I ran into my sister's room, Miu following close behind. When I flung open the door, I saw Ica standing there white as a sheet, staring at the open window. I looked and saw a small brown owl perched on the window still. Miu swaggered over to her, in a way that only cats can and jumped up next to the bird.

"Ah Miu, I see you have informed Melanie of your ability to talk." The owl said lazily.

"Yes, and I must say that she has taken far better than Ica has," He stated, "What have you done to the poor girl Strix?"

Strix huffed angrily, "Nothing, I simply spoke. It's not my fault that she wasn't quite as able to take the news without becoming paralysed."

"I've not become paralysed." Ica piped up.

"Thank goodness," I sighed, "I honestly thought something was wrong with you." I quickly pulled her into a hug, but she squirmed out of my grip.

"So your cat can talk to, how come you didn't go all crazy scared," she asked me sitting down on her bed.

"Well I was about to but, you screamed, so I didn't have time to." I explained, sitting down at her desk. I looked at the books that she had out. Wow, it was unlike her to actually do her homework. It looked like she had had to research something, her iPad was on and the picture in open tab caught my eye.

There was a painting of two girls, obviously sisters, who looked exactly like Ica and I. The one on the right looked like Ica, with her hair being slightly longer and blonder than mine, and the fact that she was just a tiny bit shorter. The one on the left however looked pretty much the same as me. Same blue eyes-check, same dirty blonde hair-check and same pale skin-check.

"Ica... Who are these people?" I asked her, pointing towards the picture.

"I don't know," she replied honestly, her expression suddenly becoming serious, "Their names are Niamh and Ciardha. They lived in a Celtic tribe together and were sisters. Niamh believed she was able to control light and Ciardha believed she could control darkness. No one believed them and they thought that they were blaspheming against their gods, so the local druid killed them as sacrifices to the gods and threw their bodies in a river."

I looked closer at the picture and I saw two more figures in the picture. One resembled a black cat and the other seemed to be the outline of a brown owl... Niamh and Ciardha, I knew I had heard those names before. It seemed that I was having a serious case of déjà vu.

"Those girls are you." Miu suddenly spoke up. Ica and I both looked at him in confusion.

"What do you mean?" Ica asked she was as muddled as I was.

"Exactly what he says." Strix said softly, "Those two sisters were the same people as you are. True their names are different, but their souls? They are no different from yours."

"I don't understand," I said, the weirdness of the situation starting to get to me', "How can we be those people, it's scientifically impossible."

"Yes but how can a talking cat be scientifically possible?" Miu argued, "How is any of this scientifically possible. You must delete the impossible and whatever is left, no matter how improbable, must be the truth."

"So what is the truth?" I asked him.

"What do you think it is, what is the last possible explanation for this?" He asked me. I thought if science couldn't answer this, well, what was left? I was pretty sure I was sane, so that ruled hallucination out. There was no way I could have died while doing history homework. So that only left one possible explanation-

"Magic," Ica breathed, voicing my exact train of thought, "But how?"

"I suppose we had better start from the beginning," Strix sighed, I opened my mouth to start asking the thousands of questions that had appeared in my mind, and I could see that Ica was about to do the same, but Strix held up her wing to stop us, "Listen and most of your questions will be answered."

"Ok can I start," Miu perked his ears up in excitement, "I do so love beginnings, they're my favourite bits."

"Fine," Strix grumbled, "But next time I get to start."

"Ok," Miu replied, he cleared his voice before starting to speak, "There were once two sisters, who were born from two of the greatest supernatural beings in the world. Their father was arguably the greatest warlock of all time, he used black magic and although he was one of the most evil and malicious people on the planet, he still managed to raise a family."

"That is until recently, when he founded the Academy." Strix interrupted.

"I thought I was telling this bit," Miu grumbled, flicking his tail in her face, "Anyway, he married the youngest princess of the Anthousai (flower) nymphs, Lilly. All of the seven princesses were extremely powerful and were able to control plants and even call upon or take the appearance of certain animals."

"However, when the warlock took the princess as his bride, she became banished from the kingdom for treachery and was forced into hiding," Strix continued, Miu huffed off out the window in a strop, causing me to roll my eyes at how much he was over reacting, "It was here in hiding that they had three children."

"THREE!!!" Ica and I both screamed, we didn't have another sibling, or at least, not that I was aware of.

"Did I say three? I meant two. Most definitely two." Strix said, laughing uncertainly. It was obvious to me that he was lying about something, but he began talking again, forcing us into silence. "Now the two of you weren't like your parents, you weren't immortal. No one is completely sure why, but it is suspected that it is to do with your gender rejecting the immortal gene from your parents, because of them both being powerful white and black magic users. However, you were able to be reborn in each age ,due to a deal your mother made, and we were sent to be your companions and guide you down the right path. Our souls are connected to yours, when you are reborn so are we. I am a white magic user and Miu uses black magic, however as we are only meant to be protectors, so we only have very basic protecting magic and no aggressive magic."

"But what about us?" I asked, "What powers do we have?"

"Well that is the strange part," Miu appeared again, "You are the only two to wield your powers."

"Score!" Ica shouted, punching her fist in the air, "Wait, what are our powers?"

Strix and Miu looked at each other and seemed to be have a conversation through glares. Then they turned to us and Strix said, "You two appear to have taken the colour of your magic literally."

He paused and Miu took over, "Melanie is darkness and Ica is light..."