How To Tell If Your Friend's A Vampire

ICA'S POV

Well, that was a fun party!

You meet your evil warlock Dad for the first time (in this life, whatever), discover who you thought was your Mum is a hologram, eat cake, drink pomegranate and elderflower cordial, blow a few things up on Minecraft, have a DECENT-ISH TIME with your brother, who happens to be the world's only immortal toddler, then just as things perk up a bit, and you get ready to leave, it's 'Hey! Thanks for coming! We had a great time! By the way, the evil druid guy who is obsessed with killing you? He's gone back to your old house to set off some epic explosions that will not only kill everyone where he thinks you are but also wipe out all of Europe! Go sort it out! Bye!

Sorry, but you're really supposed to start with the good stuff, and then break it to your daughters what they have to do for their allowance.

I mean, come on. Can't we just take the bins out once a week?

Me and Melanie, (sorry, Melanie and I) decided to head back to our dorm, and discuss WHAT THE HECK WE WERE ACTUALLY MEANT TO DO. It was even more unfair than 'Game Over' one swipe away from 2048. Why did we have to deal with it? We couldn't help BEING BORN, could we? It was him who did it with Mum, so why couldn't they sort out this mess they'd got us into and leave us in peace to play 2048 during Maths lessons, and try to best Markus at everything, and come up with one ship per life for Melanie and Tristan?

It was a tough way to learn you couldn't really rely on your parents for everything.

But then, I'd never really relied on them for anything before, anyway! It wasn't like they'd been there for me ever (IN THIS LIFE, WHATEVER). I'd only known my Dad for an hour, and never even met my Mum, who'd replaced herself with a hologram.

ERWUICXMKCMXCM<XCM<ERUIERUI$%*(SRJSD~@:SD~@:XLXCMCXJSDFHUQE*Y*uerjoer&*ruiUIAROERJCXU*CXJERREUIER&* £%RUHJRCVUNCX CHJKSDFRWERYARY YIRYEWY(

I decided to console myself by coming up with ship names for Melanie and Tristan.

Melanistan

Eckra

Ciardhimesh

Crud. I was out of names already. What were they called in Victorian times?

Violet and Joseph.

I jumped. Markus?

The one and only. Now, do I get a point for telling you that?

Do I get a point for just discovering everything ALL BY MYSELF?

Ica, I saw Mum come show you to Gethin's office. I'm not that stupid.

Why was he so irritating? Markus, this is serious! My Mum's a hologram, my brother's immortal, the sacred book of all time is my Easter chocolate and I've run out of Explosives on Survival Mode!

Gasp! Markus said melodramatically. No explosives on Minecraft? The world has ended!

Actually, if we don't do something soon, it probably has.

I pictured Markus snapping from not-at-all-serious-mode to slightly-more-serious-mode. What do you mean?

Grab Tristan. Meet us in our dorm ASAP.

Race you there? Markus said wickedly.

That's unfair! You can teleport!