One More Day Before the Storm

A/N: Ahhh!!! We're so close!!! AHHHHH!!!! I'm scared and I'm the writer.

June 4

The cafe was buzzing with noise and excitement and Enjolras was at the head of it all. Marius, Courfeyrac, and a couple of other men were cleaning out weapons, Grantaire and some new drinking buddies were doing what they did best, Bossuet and Joly were preparing medical supplies, and Combeferre and Gavroche were making flyers. In the other room, Enjolras knew Mme. Hucheloup and Bossuet and Joly's mistress Musichetta were sewing their flags.

Enjolras was writing the speech he would give to the people as the barricades rose and their flag blew in the wind. He was having trouble focusing, though. The feeling that they were so close was making his hands shake, making the words messy and hard to read. His heart was pounding in excitement and he couldn't hide his smile from time to time.

When it go to be too much, he put down his pen and walked over to Marius and Courfeyrac and picked up a gun, starting to clean it out. Montparnasse explained that would want to clean them out, when he delievered them, stating that they could blow their hands off if they weren't careful.

"You look nervous," Courfeyrac said with a friendly smile.

"Well, we're going to try and overthrow the government tomorrow," Enjolras reminded him. "And if history repeats itself, we're all going to die trying."

"Hey, remember what you said. Forget the reincarnation thing because it's like totally weird and probably not even true," Courfeyrac said. "Focus on here and now. We're supposed to save France either way, right?" Enjolras nodded. "God, I spend too much time with Combeferre, I'm starting to sound like him." Enjolras laughed and put down the gun he'd just finished cleaning.

"It's not a bad thing," Enjolras replied.

"Yeah, it is. Soon I'll have a 4.0 GPA and start playing chess every Sunday with my Dungeons and Dragons friends."

"Well, first off, you barely graduated university and you aren't going back so I think you're safe for the grade point average. Secondly, I'm Combeferre's roommate and I know for a fact that he doesn't have any Dungeons and Dragons friends. Focus on cleaning the gun, soldier."

"Yes, sir," Courfeyrac said, with a lazy salute. Enjolras smiled and walked over to the bar to see what the drunks were doing. Grantaire was laughing pretty loudly. He looked at Enjolras and raised his glass to him. Enjolras gave him a short nod in response. He moved onto Gavroche and Combeferre.

"Those flyers are looking nice," he said, sitting down in the chair next to Gavroche.

"Thanks, chief," Gavroche said, with a big grin.

"Hey, Gav...uh, tomorrow...I think you should--"

"Nuh uh," Gavroche said looking at Enjolras. "You said I was one of you guys. I'm fighting with you tomorrow, whether you like it or not."

"I just don't want to see you get hurt...or worse."

"You're more likely to get hurt than I am, chief." Enjolras was a little shocked by this statement but the little guy was right. He'd lived on the streets most of his life while Enjolras lived in the lap of luxury in a mansion with servants and heated toilet seats. Enjolras patted Gavroche on the back and moved over to Combeferre.

He leaned down and muttered in his ear, "Try and convince him, okay?" Combeferre nodded and then Enjolras walked off.

"Can I say something?" Enjolras asked, walking to the front of the room. The noise died down as everyone looked at him. "Tomorrow not all of us will survive and I want to take a moment to let you know that whatever happens that I'm happy and content that you're all the ones who either helped me build a republic or stayed with me to fight to the death. And you should be happy and content as well. You're doing the right thing by me and by the people. We're fighting for the city that we love and I don't think there's a better way to--"