C'est L'ete

Enjolras woke up, very disoriented. He wasn't sure where he was and he didn't remember what had happened to him. The only thing he was sure of was the excruciating pain in his mouth.

"You're awake," someone said. It was Combeferre. Enjolras looked at his friend.

"Where 'm I?" Enjolras was not speaking clearly. His mouth was really swollen. Guess he wasn't giving speeches any time soon.

"You're in the hospital," Combeferre explained. "Do you remember what happened to you?"

"It was kind of a blur..." Enjolras admitted. "Though I do remember the conversation I had with Montparnasse before they decided to torture me, now that I think about it. Why do I sound like I have food in my mouth?"

"Babet pulled a wisdom tooth for you," Combeferre said.

"Oh, how nice," Enjolras said. Combeferre laughed. "How did I get out?"

"We rescued you," Combeferre explained. "It wasn't the easiest task but it was worth it."

"Is everyone okay?" Enjolras asked. Combeferre sunk down in his chair. "'Ferre, what happened?"

"Jehan was stabbed," he explained. "The doctors are saying he'll be okay physically. Full recovery. But...mentally, they aren't sure. You, as well."

"I feel fine," Enjolras shrugged.

"That's because you're hopped up on morphine right now," Combeferre said. "Once you are back out there in the world, you might not feel so great."

"Where's Grantaire?" Enjolras asked, all of a sudden. Combeferre looked a little surprised to see that Enjolras was actually wondering about the drunkard.

"He visited you this morning on his way to class," he explained. "He's very sorry about what he made you do."

"He didn't make me do anything," Enjolras said. "I made my own choice to try the weed and the onl person to blame is myself."

"He risked his life to save you, I think, because he felt responsible for your kidnapping," Combeferre explained. "I think there's a lot we don't know about Grantaire." Enjolras closed his eyes. He rested his head back against the bed. He'd been asleep for an entire day, yet he felt exhausted.

"I brought you your books," Combeferre said. "I thought you might want to study for exams in a week." Enjolras' eyes shot open and he sat up too quickly, making his broken ribs hurt even more than they already did.

"Exams are in a week? How long was I out for?" Enjolras asked.

"A day, Enjolras," Combeferre said. "Nice to know you're paying attention in class. Finals start next week on Monday. You might want to cram while you're here and there aren't any distractions." Combeferre put the books beside Enjolras on the bed and Enjolras stared at them like they were some kind of disease.

"I'm going to fail," was all Enjolras said, hopelessly.

"Alright, grumpy, I have classes now. Cram your heart out. See you later."

"See you." Enjolras opened one of the law textbooks and started to make notes on everything he remembered was important. He regretted not paying attention and now he was going to fail his exams.

"Enjolras?" The named looked up. Jehan stood in the doorway, his IV stand beside him. "How are you feeling?"

"Jehan," Enjolras said. "I'm fine. God, how are you? I heard about what happened. I'm sorry, it was all my fault--"

"No, it's not, Enjolras," Jehan said, shuffling in. He sat in Combeferre's old chair and let out a shaky breath.

"Should you really be walking around?" Enjolras asked. "I mean, didn't this happen just yesterday?"