FOUR

A/N

This is the new and improved chapter four. The first version I posted wasn't as nearly as good as I wanted it to be so I decided to revise, redo and rewrite it. For those of you who have already read this chapter, you don't necessarily need to reread it but I would like it if you did. This version comes to the same conclusion as the previous version, simply written better and more believable. Tell me what you think! Hope you like it!

<><><>

"Terri, calm down. It's ok, just relax," Jonah said soothingly. "Just breathe, Terri, breathe. Come on Terri, breathe in, breathe out, breathe in, breathe out." The words Jonah was saying had just begun to sink in and I followed his orders.

Inhale, exhale, inhale, exhale, I said in my head. My brain slowly began to clear up and I realized that I was curled in a ball on the floor. I slowly sat up and stared at Jonah. He was still rambling on and on and he seemed just as disturbed as I was so I reached out and placed my hand on his shoulder. "I'm fine now... I think you need to breathe more than I do."

He laughed shakily and slumped down next to me. Slowly his laughter grew louder and I stared at him in confusion. "Jonah..." I said cautiously as I placed a hand on his arm. "Are you alright?"

He turned and stared at me as if he'd only just realized that I was still there. "Am I alright...?" he whispered as his laughing ceased. "Our plane has just crash landed... pretty much everyone is dead... somebody killed the damn pilot... and now we're stranded in who-knows-where!" He leaned his head against the wall and stared at the ceiling. "Yup, I believe that is the exact definition of "alright"."

I stared at him for a few moments before he turned back to me. He pulled me onto his lap and I looked in his eyes. "You look terrified," I whispered.

"It's because I am," he replied. He looked inside the plane where all the dead passengers lay. "Everyone's dead, Terri..." he whispered so silently I could barely hear him. "So many people we knew are dead. And we might as well be dead too considering that fact that all our families will think we died in the crash." His eyes were squeezed shut as he tried his best to keep his breathing even.

I wrapped my arms around his neck and placed my head against his chest as tears began rolling down my cheeks. He squeezed my waist as he pulled me closer to him. We sat like that for what felt like hours but it was more likely only a few minutes. Eventually, I pried myself away from Jonah. His shirt was soaked from my tears. I stared at the inside of the plane as I listened to the sounds of people crying and wailing and yelling. Jonah stroked my cheek gently. "What the hell are we going to do?" he asked me.

I opened my mouth to say something but nothing came out. I felt numb, as if someone had thrown me into a freezer for an hour and then pulled me out.

A distant voice was heard and I turned my head towards the sound. "Everyone who is still alive," the male voice was saying, "Come out of the plane so we can see who survived."

"Let's go," Jonah said. We stood up and Jonah helped me walk out of the plane. A ladder was placed outside the door and we climbed down. A small circle of four or five people were gathered outside the plane.

As I examined the plane from the outside I noticed that it was practically split in half. A giant crack went down the middle of the aircraft and all the windows were destroyed. Shattered glass and torn metal lay across the ground. It was dark outside and for a moment, I couldn't see a thing. After a few seconds though, my eyes adjusted to the dim light and I took in my surroundings.

"Where are we...?" Jonah muttered. Large trees, taller than any I've ever seen before, surrounded us. Foliage covered the night sky so only beams of the silver moonlight made it to the earth below. Strong, odd scents bombarded my nose as I stared in awe. Bizarre sounds were heard and I could only imagine what creatures were making them. The numbness disappeared, only to be replaced by intense fear. I felt my legs begin to shake as I held onto the ladder for dear life. I closed my eyes and tried to calm myself. Inhale, exhale, inhale, exhale, I told myself. Jonah reached down and squeezed my hand tightly. He looked down and me and I turned up to stare at him. His eyes were wide with anxiety and he looked like he may have another panic attack.