ONE

Did you ever realize how fragile the future is? Just one seemingly harmless choice could change the path you take. A difference of one minute is all it takes to change your life for the better or for the worse.

I certainly never thought about that when I signed up for the school Europe trip. I love European culture; it's been my dream to go there my whole life! What could go wrong? I had thought it would be a great opportunity to meet new people and see new things. I never would have thought that going on that plane would change my life for the worse. Who would have thought following your dreams could ruin your life? I suppose none of us actually consider the consequences before it's already too late.

<><><>

I packed my bags at a rapid pace as I ran around the room and threw my clothes haphazardly into my suitcase.

"Where are my socks? I don't have any socks! I can't go on a trip without any socks! What am I gonna do without socks?!" I babbled mindlessly to myself and I ran around the my room for another few minutes until my mom walked into my room.

"Terri?" she said as she stared at me running around the room searching. "Are you ok?" she asked me.

I turned to her and began to talk frantically again. "Ok? Am I ok? No I am not ok! I don't have any socks! How am I going to go to Europe without socks? What am I going to do? I need-" I was interrupted when my mom came over and placed a hand over my mouth.

"Terri," she said, "Calm down; it's just socks. I'll find some. Just relax!"

I took my mom's advice and let out a long breath and my mom removed her hand. She walked out of the room and I hoped she was going to find some socks. I know what you're all thinking, what is wrong with this girl? She's having a panic attack because of socks! Rest assured, I am not insane. I wasn't really freaking out because of the socks, I was just really nervous for the trip.

I had been dreaming of this trip for as long as I could remember and I wanted everything to be perfect! And if I didn't have socks, things would not nearly be as perfect as I had wanted them to be.

My mom returned a few minutes later with several pairs of socks as I was folding all the clothes I was bringing. "Here you go," she said as she placed all the socks in my suitcase. "You have more than enough socks now."

"Thanks," I mumbled as I tried to zip up my suitcase. I will admit, I might have overpacked just a bit.

My mom watched as I attempted zipping the bag once again, and I failed once again. My mom sighed. "Sit on the bag and I'll zip it up," she suggested. I nodded and I sat on the suitcase. "What do you have in here? A baby hippo?" she asked me as she tried to close the bag.

"No," I responded while I shifted my weight to make it easier for my mom. "I only packed the essentials for the trip."

She stopped and looked up at me. "You do realize you're only going for a week right? Not a month."

I rolled my eyes as she went back to tugging the zipper. It took almost ten more minutes to close the bag and once it was finally closed I gasped. "What? What's wrong?" my mom asked me.

"I forgot to pack my toothbrush!" I exclaimed.

My mom stared at me with an amused look on her face. "Are you serious?" I nodded. She shook her head and said, "Well, I'm not wasting another ten minutes closing your suitcase. Just put it in your purse."

"But my purse is full too!"

"I'm sure you can fit a toothbrush in there." And with that she walked out of my room.