Chapter Six

~Chapter Six~

The Rich Boy

Daylight filled the land as Evemina raced towards the distant Dubois Manor.

She had slept the night away when she was exhausted from her crying and most of the next day. That day was yesterday, because Evemina knew that Marian would be safe for now as the black mare and herself rested for some time. The maiden decided to ride in the afternoon to the Manor. However plans were decided for her.

At the crack of dawn, Verity woke her up by nipping her cheek. Evemina had been confused at the strangeness of her horse since ever would Verity was never known to do such a thing. Therefore the maiden took the rude awakening as a sign of 'we must ride now'.

Through the dewy morning, Evemina rode strongly to her home. Now looking at the thatched mansion hiding behind stone walls sent a feeling of relief and happiness. Verity thundered up the dirt hill to road to the manor with full speed.

Verity never behaved this strangely before... Evemina was mystified and stared at her horse.

As she neared the residence, yells could be heard behind the walls, "Evemina has returned! Open the gate!"

As she rapidly approached the wooden gates opened for her immediately after the yells. Verity and Evemina passed the gates into the courtyard, the wind whipped her hood off of her head, revealing her face.

The maiden pulled Verity's reins back sharply to slow into a trot. Her emerald eyes scoured the courtyard to see a strange sight.

Marian was outside the Manor... with a man. Her Lady looked distressed and sad as she cradled something in her hand. The man had long blonde hair and tanned skin with a soldier's clothing of leather. His eyes stared at Marian both sympathetically and sadly as if understanding what her feelings were.

"Evemina?"

The maiden glanced down to see her Lady's lady-in-waiting standing beside her, a smile formed on her lips. "It's good to see you, Sarah."

Sarah studied the maiden carefully, "You return so soon. Did everything go well in Papplewick?"

Evemina bit her lip in thought as she wondered if she could trust Sarah not knowing who the traitor could be. "Of course. They were not there. They had moved to another town. It was too much of a ride for Verity so we returned."

Sarah nodded with sincerity, "I'm sorry that you did not get to see them."

Evemina nodded before turning to the stranger with Marian, "Sarah, who is that with Lady Marian?"

The woman glanced over, "Robin of Locksley."

Robin of Locksley? The same man who played with Peter... Robin?

A sense of detestment grew at the sights of him.

"Why is he here? Shouldn't he be in the Crusades?" Evemina retorted distastefully.

"Evemina." Sarah calmly whispered, causing the maiden to glance back. "Peter and Robin have been in a prison for five years... He just escaped a few months ago."

A light shone upon Evemina's face, "Where's Peter than?" The maiden glanced around for any sign but only spotted the distressed face of Sarah, "He died trying to escape." Evemina's expression faltered into dispair, "Peter was struck by an arrow in his back... He gave Robin the family ring before running out toward the Muslim soldiers to allow Robin and his... companion escape. He died an honorable death."

Evemina listened carefully and nodded at her words. No wonder Marian seems so depressed and she could understand why Robin would be upset as well.

Without much of a glance, Evemina quietly flicked the reins and Verity trotted towards the stable.