n i n e

two months later
________

I had just got done feeding Adira in the kitchen when I heard my front door open.

Knowing it was Anakin I rushed out into the living room.

He spotted me immediately and hurried over, kissing me sweetly before turning his attention to Adira.

"Well hello beautiful," he cooed, taking her from my arms.

He cuddled her small body to his chest as I leaned my head on his arm to watch her.

She looked up at her father with glee as she laughed at him, her gummy smile wide.

"Hello my sweet girl," Anakin whispered while bouncing her up and down in his arms.

She continued to giggle up at him as he pulled faces to make her laugh.

The sight alone was enough to bring tears to my eyes, but I brushed them away before Anakin could see.

He turned to sit on the couch facing the window, so Adira could see the view.

Standing up, he walked to the window and began pointing things out to her.

She reached out to touch the glass with her small hands, smiling widely.

I walked over to them and stood next to Anakin.

He noticed my presence and turned his body so Adira was facing me.

"Oh look who it is, it's mommy!" Anakin exclaimed, smiling down at her.

Adira giggled and reached her hands out to me.

I proceeded to take her from Anakin and situate her in my arms.

Anakin pulled me into his arms, so Adira was in between us, still giggling.

She looked between Anakin and I, smiling and screeching in happiness before turning her attention back to the window.

I followed her gaze and looked out at the beautiful Coruscant horizon, the sun was setting, making the city glow.

But the bliss was short lived, I spotted smoke in the distance, turning my smile into a frown.

I gasped when I realized where it was coming from.

The Jedi Temple.

"Anakin," I whispered, too shocked to form a coherent sentence.

"I see it," he replied, his face showing his shock as well, "I need to go."

"No Anakin, wait!" I called to his retreating figure.

"I'll be okay Verena, I just need to see what's going on. I'll be home soon."

He kissed me softly before leaning down to kiss Adira's forehead.

"I'll see you both soon," he said before closing the door behind him.

Adira was no longer smiling, almost as if she knew what was going on.

"It's okay my love, daddy will be home soon," I smiled at her reassuringly.

In an attempt to distract myself I set up Adira's play mat on the living room floor and scattered toys all over it.

I placed her on her stomach and watched her wiggle to her toys.

She wasn't old enough to be crawling yet, so she wriggled everywhere like a worm.

It was honestly adorable and part of me wanted her to stay this way forever, but I knew it was selfish of me.

I sat down next to her and brought her toys to her if she was having trouble getting to them.