Chapter 22

"Mother," I huffed in annoyance. "What an unpleasant surprise."

"Now, now, Tyrius," she reached and patted my cheek. "Don't give me that attitude."

"I'd say that it's lovely to see you, but I'd be lying," I flinched at her touch and took a step back feeling uncomfortable. "The last time I saw you it was a millennium ago," I said and grew cold again. My shock wore off, and confidence returned.

"Blame your father for that," she replied, and her expression grew cold, too. "His incredible selfishness brought us into this."

"Are you still on about that human he killed?" I asked knowing that it most probably was. Lilith had a grudge on Lucifer for a certain something he did many hundreds of years ago. Before that, their relationship was going on and off, but after father dearest killed Marcus, everything that held them connected, vanished into nothingness. Lilith rejected my brothers and me and stayed committed only to her human children, whom I definitely despised and hated.

"Don't anger me, child," she pronounced casually. "I may be your mother, but it won't stop me from snapping your neck." I greeted my teeth but replied nothing. It was never a good idea to anger Lilith. "Well, enough about that," she smirked. "How are you and your brothers are doing? I couldn't help but notice Oengus has been experimenting a lot lately." She sighed and walked past me into the house. "Lovely girl he picked. I just sincerely doubt that he will get anything out of her into his favor. Besides, she's determined not to give in, she's also incompatible with your species."

I spun around and froze for a moment, fascinated with my mother's knowledge in such matter. I'm being made of human flesh and having a demonic beginning in my core, implying on my superiority, didn't know so much about Stacy. For me, she was a pathetic human, who became a significant nuance that needed to be taken care of. In a deadly sense, of course. What Lilith possibly could know about it? Curiosity sparked in me and unable to stop myself I followed her inside the house.

"I came to existence as early as the first man, didn't I?" She answered my unspoken question. I inhaled deeply regaining my composure, yet again. I forgot indeed my own mother's origins and what she was in the reality.

"What does that suppose to mean?" I cocked my head to one side.

"Nothing really. Her blood has mutated. She's neither human nor demon. She's an error."

"Error?" I mused.

"Error. She was born a mistake and became an outcast because of her origin."

"I don't understand where you are going with this speech?"

"You are stupid, Tyriur," she snapped. Her eyes darkened, filling with rage. "You're playing with fire, child. Don't let your arrogance cloud your judgment. You've already started the game that is way above your power. Do you know what you're playing with?"

"Enough!" I snapped back. The floor underneath me started shaking and everything that made the house's interior sharply floated up in the air.

I couldn't remember the last time when someone enraged me that significantly. The fury radiated out of me and penetrated everything nearby. The only person who didn't feel it was Lilith. Her gaze stayed cold and posture calm, by that calling out of me even bigger frustration. I didn't have mommy issues but reacted poorly when someone challenged my power and doubted my ability. From all of the brothers, I was only who wanted to continue Lucifer's legacy. We've lost many battles, but this one I knew I couldn't lose. And it really felt like we were going to win. One smart move...two smart moves. And the war is won. But until then...