Chapter 38

The sunrise was hours away, but we didn't stop moving even for a minute. Surrounded by thick darkness, the alluring shuffle of a night forest was all that surrounded us. Occasionally in the distance, I caught the noise of airplane and honking of the truck on a highway. I knew we were close to a habitat land, but we still needed to find the nearest town and figure out our location.

The moist air engulfed my lungs making my breathing labored, and my body was so heated up that I couldn't feel the temperature around me. It was a familiar body condition. All my muscles were tense, working for one and the same cause — to make my body obey and keep pushing myself further.

"I think we need to take a break," I heard Oengus complain. Involuntarily my lips twitched, finding humor in his demand. He was hundred present of what I was only half, and he was already tired.

"Wimp," I coughed into my fist.

"Excuse me," Oengus stopped walking. Even in complete darkness under a faint moonlight, I could see his amused face.

"I said," I pronounced clearly and coughed again, "wimp."

"We've been on the move since this noon. I didn't even have a piss stop," he scowled. "The last time I had to walk so much was eight centuries ago when I had to travel from Exeter to Dorchester on foot."

"Right," I muttered. "The last time I had to travel anywhere was from Chicago Illinois to South Dakota. And it was after months of being tortured."

Oengus scoffed. "How long are you going to hold a grudge? It's been fifty good years since then."

"For you," I made a bored expression even though he couldn't see me and I really didn't need to pretend to be affected by anything he said. I wasn't completely emotionless. My emotions were there just under a dormant spell. When I mentioned my months in captivity a very tiny flare of irritation managed to stir inside of me. I almost rejoiced at the feeling. It was far from the rage that sometimes could consume me and definitely not a happy emotion, but nonetheless, it was something to take a notice of. "For me, it was only a few months ago."

"Right..." he trailed off. "Anyway...back to the subject. We need to take a break. I know you're tough and all, but let's be rational, shell we?"

"Fine," I huffed. "Let's take a break."

I slipped the straps off my shoulders and dropped my backpack on the ground. From a side pocket, I pulled out a bottle of water and made several small sips. From my left, I heard a rustle of plastic and scowled silently at Oengus. He had no surviving skills whatsoever. I closed the cap on the bottle and put it back. From another pocket I withdrew a pack of dry snack and nestling comfortably on the ground started shoving piece by piece into my mouth.

Inhaling deeply I closed my eyes and concentrated on the sounds around me. The air was sweet with the rusty woodsy aftertaste. I swallowed down the flavor that accumulated on my tongue and made my body relax a little. There were no people near us on miles, though if it were up to me, I'd continue walking until I reached a human town. The best bet was to buy a bus ticket and travel as far as the bus would go. Better yet travel towards Canada and cross the border unnoticed at some public resort like Niagara Falls.

I felt movement behind my back and tensed. Something fell with a thud next to me followed by a groan.

"Like in good old days," Oengus muttered. "Sleeping on the ground minus bonfire."

"You're the one who wanted to make a stop. Better enjoy it." I replied feeling instant relief.

"Thanks, I will," he snapped and sat down on the ground. "By the way, you stink."