Chapter 8

Hey, Guys! I just wanted to thank you all for reading "A Very Dark tale". I appreciate each and every person who showed some interest in it.

I love you all!

Lina :)

#################################################################################################### 

     December 29, 1962, New York, NY.

    My smile stayed attached the whole day as I continued touring the streets of New York. Christmas didn't bring much of excitement on my part. The only good thing that happened was that I had a chance to see my goddaughter Grace. Her first birthday was coming next month, and I planned on making her a big present.

Here and there I made some purchases, and with hands full of shopping bags decided to head to my hotel. I passed the chain of expensive shops in a good part of New York and paused by the building that looked quite intimidating. My heart skipped a beat when I read the sigh that shone proudly exhibiting golden letters "National Bank."

I needed to open my own secret account just in case if my affair with Dwight would come out, and people would find out that it just a bogus.

My thoughts unwillingly turned to Grace again, picturing her cute little face that reminded me so much of her father. The day of the wedding was coming closer, and we still didn't know how to postponed it. To play lovebirds was pretty easy considering that Dwight and I loved each other. The only thing nobody knew was that our love was of a different kind.

Something inside me clicked, and my body on its own pivoted straight into the entrance to the bank. A doorman in a red jacket smiled kindly at me, and once he welcomed me by lifting his hat once, he turned to the door and pulled it open. I nodded sending him a small smile and strode inside. My heart was already calmly beating.

I wasn't the most cautious or prepared for a real life person, but I wasn't clueless either. I had a sense of responsibility, and my brain could calculate just fine any sort of aftermaths. Moreover, a nagging feeling or something horrid caused me to be extra provident.

I looked around a spacious hall, and when my gaze stopped on a pair of curious brown eyes, I froze. The eyes were warm and welcoming.

Thinking of what I really needed here, I blinked and getting back into my confident mood advanced to the table wherein the same proud golden letters was signed a name Murray J. Wright – specialist. The man looked young, probably just out of university. His expression showed vulnerability and a hint of excitement, and his posture looked ready as if he was suppressing his urge to jump up and greet me.

"Hello," he tried not to smile too brightly at me. "What can I help you with?" His hand shot out, and I found myself reaching for it.

"Hello," I replied calmly. "I would like to open an account."

"Um, sure, of course," he nodded releasing my hand and immediately pointing me to the chair. "Please, have a seat."

I smiled softly liking this man and the light air around him, and sat down placing my shopping bags on the floor, and then pulling my satin gloves off. The engagement ring on my finger caught his attention, and I noticed his smile waver. I sighed bitterly and stretched another smile. I couldn't even flirt around; Dwight's marriage was at stake. Besides, Sheila would never approve a commoner, even if he was a bank clerk with a bright future.

"Cigarette?" He opened a case and offered me one.

"Thank you," I reached for a cigarette, and when he lit it up, I inclined on a chair and felt my body relax on the seat. The guy brought an ashtray closer to me, and I watched him enjoying his cigarette, too.