Chapter 12

Chapter 12

"I'm sorry, did I hear you correctly? You had lunch with your co-worker? Who's a guy?"

I inched my head away from the phone through which Madison's shrieking was piercing my ears from. By doing that, I managed to hit the side of my temple against a stapler that was sticking out from one of the wooden shelves. Cramped in the supply closet again, I realized that this probably wasn't the best place to call Madison. More over, the bowl that contained my lunch - a Caesar salad - was balancing on two rubber erasers.

"Ow," I rubbed the tender spot. "Yes, Maddie, he's a guy. Why is that so hard to believe?"

"Because I'm your only friend."

"Don't flatter yourself," I rolled my eyes even though she couldn't see. "I have plenty of friends here in New York, thank you. And I didn't need your help making them."

"Is that why you almost slept with your boss?"

I gasped. "Low blow."

"Oh please," She grilled. "You're probably saving that as the defining moment in your life from transition of girl to womanhood."

I didn't respond because...well, she was right.

"Exactly." She stated. "But now that you've officially gone on a date with Kevin-"

"Do you really think it was a date?" I interrupted her. I had been thinking the same thing a few days back while Kevin and I were at lunch together. There was a great vibe to our conversations, I genuinely enjoyed spending time with him. But, we were on a work trip so technically, it was just lunch between two co-workers. 

"You're joking, right? Oh wait," Madison paused. "You're not joking. Yes, Haley. That was a date."

"No, it can't be," I argued. "We were out for work and happened to stop by for lunch on our way back to the office. It's not a big deal-"

"Yes it is!" She shrieked into the phone. I began chewing on the bits and pieces of my salad as she ranted on and on about Kevin and I kind of got lost in the conversation once she started talking about Nate. Eventually, I had tuned out completely, finding myself getting immersed in my salad.

"-and you'll have to make that decision all by yourself," She finally ended.

Because I hadn't been paying attention but instead trying to figure out a way to eat my lunch without breaking everything in this closet, I mumbled with food in my mouth, "Huh? What decision?"

"Who are you going to pick, Kevin or Nate?"

It was a bit of an out of pocket question to ask. 

There was absolutely nothing that could be done about me and Nate, that had been established and we were both - or, at least I - was trying to keep it that way to avoid any trouble.  He was sweet the first night we met, then I boosted his ego which made him persistent in getting what he wanted. He was also a very handsome guy, that I couldn't deny. Yet the biggest and most obstacle was that he was my boss. He was actually The Boss of the entire magazine. Though fate and destiny may have us in the palm of their hands, reality didn't. 

And reality always won.

Kevin was simply a friend I was still getting to know. In my eyes, he too, was a very attractive and kind friend, but still a friend nonetheless. He's proven himself to be quite the gentleman. Around him, I felt comfortable. 

If I was going to be honest, I had only known each for a short period of time. I was still trying to figure myself out, having to add two men into the equation made everything too complicated.